Hayden said 8 years, 6 months ago:

I know this site sees its fair share of spam, but today has been crazy. I’ve never seen it this bad.
And not only that, but something is usually done about it by now. But no, users who were spamming this site over 12 hours ago are still here, along with even more new ones.

I don’t want to doubt BlahTherapy, so I don’t. I understand that the ones who run and take care of the site do what they can, and I imagine it has to be a difficult job. I appreciate everything they do for us; giving us a place to get help and to help others.
But when it comes to the point that people aren’t getting the help they need, because they can’t be seen or heard, as a result of all this spam, something needs to be done about it ASAP.

There are over 470 forum topics that are nothing but advertisements, and in the Q-n-A, I searched 100+ pages for a real question, but there were none to be found for the same reason.

I hope something is done about this soon, so things can go back to normal and we can continue helping those in need. Enough of the ads.

User456 said 8 years, 6 months ago:

I agree completely.

Still no fix…
What’s going on, BT?

Peanutter said 8 years, 6 months ago:

Yeah the spammers have really went all out this time. I’m surprised they stopped doing it on the forums as well or else this site would have been crippled besides the chat itself. This honestly should be a relatively simple problem to fix or at least medicate. Just limit the amount of questions people can ask per day/ if a person asks 10 questions in the time span of 20 seconds, simply block them temporarily from posting. For now though until the moderators/admins do something about it we should be able to resort to the forums.

tdzangel said 8 years, 6 months ago:

Tell me about it! Sadly, as I think it was Jonathan explained in an answer to a question on this subject, this site is basically under attack from an advertising agency with their full staff dedicated to spamming our beloved BT. I keep “flagging” members and encourage others to do the same, and I’m sure the BT moderators are doing what they can, but it may be a long road to hoe, as the saying goes. Just don’t give up hope with BT and try not to let it bother you (easier said than done) and enjoy your time here as much as possible :)

Michael said 8 years, 6 months ago:

It’s actually a lot easier to deal with because of the nature of the spam, it has constant repeated words or phrases that are unique and could be easily filtered out. It’s automated spam which makes it easy to get rid of (or it is in this case). I always find BT really slow to reply and it’s possible they either can’t be bothered anymore or they just don’t have the time or knowledge to deal with spam like this. Either way, it’s tiring and it’s making people leave.

Oli said 8 years, 6 months ago:

The spam is SO very annoying, this community needs to put some sort of plan in place to deal with it, it’s frustrating when you are scrolling through the ‘What’s New’ feed, looking for posts you can help with, and seeing nothing but spam, I hope something gets done in the near future so this site can go back to it’s original purpose – being used to help others.

I believe there was once a time that they took away the ability to sign-up for BlahTherapy temporarily, so they could take care of a large spamming situation. Though just a temporary fix, that could possibly help in this situation also.
I just wish that they’d reach out to the members and let us know that they know about what’s going on – If they even know.
After 3 days of these advertisements seemingly going unnoticed, it makes you feel like they don’t really care as much about the website as they once did.

Michael said 8 years, 6 months ago:

The problem is with disabling sign ups is that a lot of the accounts were made months ago and just sat inactive until they needed to be used during those periods of sign ups being disabled so that won’t really help. There needs to be spam filters in place that instantly ban (or automatically flag them) when they’re triggered. It should be simple enough but it really depends on how the backend of the site is setup.

SJayJay said 8 years, 6 months ago:

my whole newsfeed is legit full of spam, I grew tired of scrolling through the whats new feed and just went to the groups. I mean blah is supposed to be a place where people help each other out and talk to each other but its like the site is full of robots who dont even care about how you feel like those spams about how to lose weight and remove acne. Doesnt that make people feel bad about themselves just my opinion. How can we see the questions to address and help other people, if the q-n-a is full of spam…right now its advertising a bunch of universities in chinese. I don’t know how to fix this problem but hopefully blah can help us reduce the spams

NOAH. said 8 years, 6 months ago:

Yeah okay, this is getting ridiculous. Like 12 spam QnA things are popping up every minute, just ceaselessly! I’m no expert on web design, but it seems like there ought to be something somebody can do to stop this, like banning the accounts that are spamming or, I dunno, just SOMETHING. I’m sick of wading through all this crap to find an actual human I can interact with!!

Day #5, and we’ve reached a new low.
The Q-n-A section has vanished, so the spammers’ new resort is in the forums…again.
Does this mean BT has finally come around and is doing something about this situation, or are they just simply removing one section at a time if it gets too bad? I’m hoping it’s the first one, but I’m still worried.

Edit: Glad to see that the Q-n-A actually isn’t gone. Just accessed in a different way, and the ability to ask questions is disabled.

Deleted User said 8 years, 6 months ago:

I don’t know if this answer will be anything useful, but this site needs Google’s Re-Captcha. On every form.

Spammers are being deleted, advertisements are being taken care of, and the site is finally returning back to normal after over a week.
It’s great to see this situation finally being handled. Let’s all just hope now that this doesn’t happen again, and that the members who have left begin to return.

User456 said 8 years, 6 months ago:

Perhaps you spoke too soon. The spammers are still here and still clogging up the forum.