SociallyConfused said 9 years, 11 months ago:

I recently got out of an abusive, 7 year relationship in which I wasn’t really allowed to be with/around other people. I have severe social anxiety, and just had a psychological evaluation the other day which resulted in the psychologist telling me he felt I had agorophobia and that I needed to find safe/comfortable environments and meet people. My new boyfriend and I found a group online that focused on this sort of thing, and we went to have lunch with them. I managed pretty well and liked it, though it was definitely stressful. It was okay because all the focus wasn’t on me and I felt I could blend in and sort of fade into the background in the meantime.

We met a couple who we really liked and after the event, we exchanged emails on the website. They want to go on a double date with us, and while that seems nice, it’s an awful personal thing to me. It feels a bit like too much, yet I’m also afraid to drive them away if I reject it/it’s too early. I’m also very uncomfortable right now because the girl in the couple has been hitting up the forums on the website looking for sugar daddies. Men who will buy her things she wants, and all they get back is her appreciation. It really hit me in a ‘this is morally wrong’ way. I’m wary now to get close to them, and I feel bad for her boyfriend… yet at the same time I do want friends. My boyfriend really liked them as well and I don’t want to cripple his befriending others. It’s just… a lot for me all at once, especially given I haven’t even had acquaintances in over 7 years.

I like the social meetings, but my boyfriend is more a one on one kind of guy, and that sort of atmosphere makes me feel really nervous. He says I’m over thinking things and I probably am, but I can’t seem to stop. I need help.

Horowitz said 9 years, 11 months ago:

I actually have Agoraphobia myself, it is usually caused by a traumatic experience, like an abuse relationship in your case, so I can relate atleast on that front.

I would be feeling similar thoughts if I just met a couple and learned that about the girl in the relationship. I think if you feel a situation like that would make you uncomfortable it is best to listen to the gut for a bit. It is one thing to get over something by trying new things, but it is another to push yourself too hard and make matters worse. For people with agoraphobia, the best thing to do is to get out and do things and not get stuck, but if you put yourself in situations you feel you aren’t ready for or KNOW will make you uncomfortable, it could do more harm than good. I’d say avoid it if that is the way you feel about the double date. Atleast until you start feeling more confident.

I guess what I am trying to say is just don’t push yourself too hard when you feel like it is too much for you all at once.

I am also very sorry to hear about your past relationship. :(