ellisnix said 10 years, 3 months ago:

I think it would be really helpful for everybody if we all shared our individual coping methods with anxiety so people can try new things, make recommendations and share their experiences with how well different methods have worked for them.

So this can be anything from something you’ve used for years, something you’re only trying recently or just things you’ve heard about. Any proud stories of overcoming anxieties and how you did it would be wonderful too. Also anything straight from your therapist or counselor could be helpful to people unable to see one themselves.

I would make the ground rule we avoid recommending medications since a) they aren’t a coping method and b) they work differently for everyone.

This can be an ongoing thing so even if this is 2 weeks/months old then bump it if you have something new to share. Updates and discussions on how you’re coming along with any methods you’ve found on here could be great too.

Riss said 10 years, 3 months ago:

When I know I’m going to be in a social situation, I try to give myself a couple hours beforehand to listen to music or read. It helps me distract myself from the unyielding sense of dread, and allows me to calm down and motivate. It’s not a fix-all method, but “me” time certainly helps.

ellisnix said 10 years, 3 months ago:

I think that’s a great idea for people who don’t have avoidant tendencies and have good motivation but for me I tend to just cling to the prep part so much I never manage to go out and get things done.

A good remedy for this I reckon is taking the music and distractions with you so you can feel secure knowing you can quietly step out of the stressful situations and calm down. During good periods of time I’ve gotten to the point I’ve only needed to carry my ipod to feel more calm just knowing the option is there.

Also while walking around (to and from social situations too) just focusing on music helps me focus less on the people around me.

martin said 10 years, 2 months ago:

For me a good work out helps before a social situation especially dates.