Deleted User said 10 years, 4 months ago:

I’m sure I cannot be the only one who feels this way. Lost amidst a sea of people, and lost within yourself. I keep trying to figure out who I am, what I like, what I wanna do in life. And to be honest…I don’t know. I’m not sure who I am, with all these complexities…it’s all too much.

I don’t know who I am, but I know my anxiety, I know my depression…I know all the things that skew and warp the way I feel, but I don’t know who I am. And I’ve tried…I’ve tried so many times to try and see who I am on the inside, but it is like there is nothing there. Not even something to latch on to.

Not knowing who I am is scary. Next year I’ll be applying to colleges…where do I want to go? What do I want to do? I’m not sure. But I want to be. I want to be a bit more surefooted, just enough to get me over the hill.

May said 10 years, 4 months ago:

You are right everybody feels that, i feel it almost the time its confusing and sometimes irritating. But i cannot understand you completely because i have never really needed to find myself. So I usually refer to myself as the man with the many masks. I don’t know if what i will say will help or not in case it doesn’t then im sorry. I believe you don’t need to know yourself to know what you want to do. Look at the world where do you feel most comfortable? what do you feel like doing? these questions have already been answered by me. It might be frightening but I think you shouldn’t fear this because this is how most of us are. I don’t know if this has helped but its just a point of view, im sure someone will help if my reply is not enough.

Vickie said 10 years, 4 months ago:

You are still young yet. I dealt with being depressed and scared, I live with Chronic depression. When I was 18, I was terrified that I really had no clue where I wanted to go. When I did get to college, I changed my major four times…but that’s normal for EVERYONE. What you should know is that you are worried about your future because you want to succeed. That is a good thing. You are young and have years to decide what you want. It’s hard to decide something so big at this age. I am going to be 24 tomorrow and I can tell you I didn’t get things nailed down till I was 20 almost 21. You have to grow and mature and everything will fall into place. College is two years general ed of random things then two years your career courses. You have time. And I went through not having many friends and not knowing my place…when you get to college, that all changes. You will find your place, you will eventually know what you want to do, you will figure out your life. Keep in mind that you want to succeed and do well and that’s all that matters right now. Good luck and stay strong.

Oli said 10 years, 4 months ago:

I’m here for you, just remember that you are strong and that you can and will make it through this. (hugs)

AnonyMissAnn said 10 years, 4 months ago:

I had the same problem when I was in High School. I found a college I thought was perfect eventually and decided to go to school for Creative NonFiction Writing. Lived in Chicago for a year while attending this school and working as a sales woman in an upscale clothing store selling suits to businessmen and then one day my life felt wrong. Insincere. So I spent a summer alone in a cabin that my grandparents owned in the middle of the woods. I wrote, I pondered, I met a guy who later became my bf. Then I transferred to a new college. Spent one semester there studying English and Philosophy and found out I like Philosophy more! I am transferring again as a double major in Philosophy and English with a minor in Anthropology.

I guess my point is just that all you need is a starting point. No one at that age knows how their life is going to play out. In college you can get your Gen Eds out of the way first and THEN choose your major. Take some electives and find out what you even enjoy. My interests and goals have changed drastically and Im positive that they are not stopping any time soon. Life is about finding out who you are. Not knowing who you are is normal. You won’t know for years and years.

Deleted User said 10 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks for all your replies. To be honest, I guess I was kinda worrying about nothing, but it is kinda hard. It seems like everybody around me is going on with what they want to do in life. I mean,a kid only 1 or two years older than me that went to my school found a new way of detecting pancreatic cancer, and I’m over here trying to figure out derivatives and stuff.

Vivid Melody said 10 years, 4 months ago:

It’s normal to not have a clue what you want to do at this stage in your life. I personally think it’s stupid that young people are expected to have it all figured out – what they want to do with their lives at 18 without ever getting much of a chance to experiment in different fields.