Jesse said 9 years, 6 months ago:

I was diagnosed with anxiety in high school. I have NEVER been on anxiety medication. I have only gone to therapy. I was with a therapist a couple years ago but she did not help. I recently have started seeing this new therapist Ms. Lori, she is absolutely wonderful. We have only had four sessions thus far but she has helped me substantially.

Ms. Lori had to cancel our session last night because she had some last minute packing and such to do since she is in the middle of moving. I was fine when she cancelled, I just went ahead and stayed later at work. But when I was on my way home from work I started feeling overwhelmed and anxious. After last night I have learned I can’t miss anymore sessions. I always look forward to my sessions and that’s what keeps me going on Mondays to make it through the day. So I guess without my session last night I felt everything at once, like a wave.

My question now is should I talk to my doctor about putting me on anxiety medication for the days that I don’t have my therapist as a back up plan? I mean I don’t know what else to do. Is this a good idea? Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jesse

Cortona said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Dear Jesse,
I am no doctor, but I do have experience with anxiety problems. I am so glad you seeked professional help and are benefitting from it. I really wish I had but I ended up toughing out on my own and learning how to cope on my own.
What you need to do is find out if this is what you need. Will your life be significantly better if you have anxiety medication when you need it? Are you willing to experiment with other methods before trying out medication?
The right path might be to first see if you can try some other form of coping. A really good idea would be to ask your therapist about some chants or methods you can use whenever you are feeling like this. There is also a really good free meditation site that I use a lot called Free Guided Meditations. (http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22) The woman who does the meditations has a very soothing voice and knows what she’s about. You could try this, yoga, chanting, googling methods for calming yourself, just anything you wish to dabble in before deciding whether or not you want to ask about medication.
Always do what you are most comfortable with. If self healing is not proving efficient and healthy for you and you feel like you want medication, I would definitely ask my doctor about it.
I hope this helped out a bit. Stay healthy and well, I’m very glad you have a good professional source for your anxiety problems.
Stay well,
-Cortona