neccla said 9 years, 5 months ago:

@aceisit, i mean Bill, what Bill wrote actually was useful to me cuz i believe i should wait until i find the right person. :P I understood what he meant right away. I’ll stick to my belief, Bill! :)

On the other hand, if someone believes he’s very repulsive or unworthy because he doesn’t have sex is not a good belief to stick to. (maybe that’s where the confusion came from?) No degrading beliefs are…

Deleted User said 9 years, 5 months ago:

@neccla and that’s why they should convert to Islam, right?

huh? whut? :D

If someone is feeling repulsive and unworthy because that person is NOT having sex (because godless secularism tells people that you either have sex or you are unworthy), they should seek relief from that secularist pressure in religion, right?

hmmm, some people might be actually doing that…
I heard some buddhist monks actually stay celibate for their entire life!
but is sex really so much important? I don’t think so.
Religious beliefs are not all about sex. If you believe in it, you also believe other things that it entails (but you may not believe in everything completely).
I mean, i may believe that i should stay celibate, but i may not believe in Buddhism…that doesn’t make me a monk.
Soo, i was just talking about my personal values. Sure, Islam also orders “no sexual relationships before marriage” but i feel like my ideals and my religions ideas just happened to coincide, not the other way around…

Yes it is important, that’s why sexual drive is so powerful in humans. It is a healthy human activity, as necessary as eating or defecating for the human body to function properly. If you believe it’s not important that’s your problem, but when you start telling people: well, you should stick with your belief no matter what, cuz that’s a self-respect thing; when you start persuading them into continuing doing what makes them obviously unhappy with this kind of crooked logic, especially when you start doing this to young people, who haven’t yet gained enough knowledge and experience to analyze your logical leaps – that’s when I’m starting to have a problem with you.

Y Z N said 9 years, 5 months ago:

I don’t think it is a belief anymore if it makes you unhappy, I think it is just following “orders” or following something blindly. When that occurs then you should do what makes you happy, I think. Or if both “things” to do make you happy AND unhappy at the same time, I would say choose whichever side that makes you feel MORE comfortable.

It can be hard letting go though – people who have integrated these sexually negative ideas deep into their identity to the point when they self-identify with them, these folks sometimes just can’t accept the fact that something which gave them so much comfort for such a long time is now hurting them.

John, religion isn’t to blame for everything.
Yes I actually agree with you on a few points although it grinds me to say it because you come across so aggressive and derogatory towards others when you even mention religion.
Which tells me that obviously this has been something that has seriously effected you.

Sex and the decisions around it are a very personal thing. I too was brought up in a very close-minded supposedly religious family who held strong onto a vocal view that sex before marriage was wrong.And anyone who had sex before that time were supposedly immoral.
I believe this belief can be very damaging not because it’s saying to abstain from sex but because it’s saying that there is something wrong with you if you don’t.
My own personal belief about sex is that I don’t personally for me enjoy it outside of a deeply committed loving relationship.-Does that have roots in my upbringing? Maybe partially but that personal choice made by me came about from a little bit of experimentation. Does that mean I have an unhealthy sexual identity? NO
Just because a man or a woman doesn’t enjoy sex with people who they don’t have a close bond with, doesn’t mean their is anything wrong with them and I don’t go in for all the media hype or all the pressure on young people to actively explore sexual experiences if that’s something they are not comfortable with.

John if something that gave you comfort for a long time is now hurting you,then you need to make peace with it and you’re not going to do that by lashing out at everyone else who holds different beliefs.
Differences are okay and I believe everyone has a lot to learn from each other as long as we can take in information objectively and ultimately come up with our opinions.

@itsnotjustmehere yea, pity you didn’t take any time to actually read what I had to say in this thread, otherwise your little shpiel about political correctness could’ve actually had something to do with me. Oh well, at least you tried.

Hopefullylesspretentious said 9 years, 5 months ago:

John, you do kind of flip a shit in arguments when religion is involved. I know you have a solid, rational head on your shoulders, from other arguments, but it does go a little bit out there when you rail against religion. I’ll back you up on the fact that shaming people about losing their virginity is bullshit. I do respect people who stick to their beliefs, and you’ve heard my arguments for the existence of religion from a utilitarian perspective. Regardless, “Bill” seems to be saying that you only value life if you keep it until marriage. Bullshit. The whole purity thing is kind of absurd, you’re exactly as defiled by sex as you want yourself to be. It’s absolutely healthy and normal as long as you aren’t doing it for fucked up psychological reasons. I have heard one good argument for keeping it though. If you have a basis of comparison for quality of sex, then if you really fall for someone and want to spend the rest of your life with them and they suck in bed, then you know exactly how bad it is. Kind of ruins the relationship, on a level. It’s much better to only have experience with that person in bed, in that situation. Other than that, you can never actually know who the right person is. It’s very common to misjudge, especially your first time.

I have read word for word,I also read your own Q & A question which you deleted.
To be honest a lot of the views on the posts here are quite shocking @swifting especially, I find her sweeping comment deeply offensive.
But my main argument is that we all have our own personal views on things and I think as a listener on here you have to be very mindful of where everyone is coming from and not cause more damage and hurt than what they were feeling in the first place.
I actually think the role of the listener is to try and empathise with the person as much as possible and to let them vent in a judgement free environment unless they ask for your personal view.
And that’s my point just because I too have had negative encounters with people who are highly religious I don’t go around bashing people for their belief system.
I might gently encourage them to question it if I believe it’s negatively effecting them but to go making sectarian remarks about their beliefs I believe only has a negative outcome.

So if I say that I am a Neo-Nazi, and I believe that the Jews should be destroyed for the benefit of the Aryan race, you would respect that?

If I really stick to that belief I mean.

And if I would go online, and share these ideas with venters, you would be ok with that, just because I have a strong belief in that?

Kask3la said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Isn’t human sexuality a funny/touchy subject? What one person believes is wrong and the other is right therefore they are a bad person and damn them!

Sure I can respect someones view on sexuality if they choose to believe that sex is wrong, or that they must wait till after marriage or what have you. I have no problem with their belief, just don’t force your views on me. If not for my own choice in my sexual life I would not have had my kids and they are my world to me. Yeah sure maybe I should have waited to have sex a little longer than I did, maybe so, who knows. But does that make me wrong or a bad person? In the same right does it make one who chooses to wait wrong either? No.

I don’t know that it’s religion any more than it’s someone’s hard pressed beliefs that what everyone else is doing is wrong and they are the only perfect one.

It does amaze me how passionate people can get about this subject however!

Just for the record, if I create a Neo-Nazi group on Blah, would everyone be ok with this? If you’re so cool with other peoples beliefs I mean.