caring cait said 9 years, 10 months ago:

I am bisexual. Not many people know. Only my best friend and a couple other people. I want to come out to my family. Ive been wanting to come out to my family for awhile. But everytime i try i get nervous and chicken out. Can i get advice from anyone who has dealt with coming out?

yarin38 said 9 years, 10 months ago:

i wasnt dealt with coming out but i have a lot of friends who did. according to what they told me- there is no “good way” to come out, actually it depends on your parents’ state of mind. if they are not so liberals, it might be more difficult and embarrassing. but all you neeed to do is not to think about them- because its about you, and your life, and the most important- your freedom! you should explain them that it is not an illness, and it won’t over, thats who you are! anyway, i wish you a good luck and really hope that you will find the courage to do that ASAP.

Swifting said 9 years, 10 months ago:

I always tell people to deliver controversial news in public places with someone who already knows with you. That way if there is an adverse reaction to the news it’s likely stifled by the fact that they’re in a public location. Also, then you have the trip home for them to cool down and think before they speak.

ballislife said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Honestly, just come out and say it. I am sure you will feel much better and if some people don’t like it. Who cares? That just shows that they’re not good people and need to re think themselves because not liking someone just because of their sexual orientation is so immature.

Deleted User said 9 years, 10 months ago:

if you’re still living with your family and you know for sure that they won’t accept it at all, then you might want to wait it out until you move out. parents tend to think that anything while you’re still depending on them is a phase you’re going through. if you think they’d accept it, then go for it. you can sit them down and spell it out to them or just drop it casually. do whatever suits you best. if you decide to, having someone close to you who knows and supports you while you tell them would be a good idea.

Herben said 9 years, 10 months ago:

I’m quite sure that you have thought of several ways to come out. Of course you could just say it. But I suppose that’s no option for you. Another way is to write a long letter, explaining everything you feel and stuff, hoping that your family will understand you and accept you. Or on the contrary, what I did myself, is leaving a short note stating you’re gay when you won’t be at home for like an entire day, and let your family cool down themselves before you return home. There are also loads of possibilities to come out via social media, without letting the whole world know about it. Though if you feel like you’re a role model, you could let everyone know about it.

Some people advice to first tell someone of whom you’re sure that will accept you, so that you’ll have a backup person when you tell your family. Of course there definitely is a good side on that. But on the other hand, close-minded parents often feel distrusted when they’re not the first people that hear about it. So that is something you have to consider.

For a specific advice I should know more about your exact situation.