Swifting said 10 years ago:

Why is everyone so set on having to have a label?

Be yourself.

I’d rather have you happy and unique than squished into a label shaped box.

LittleLychee said 10 years ago:

Labels help to define us easily, help us to feel like we fit in somewhere in this crazy world. Labels are an easy way to get across who we are, what we’re about.

Personally, I haven’t given myself a label regarding sexuality. I know what I like, but it can’t be so easily defined as “straight”, “gay”, “bisexual” or whatever.

Deleted User said 10 years ago:

No one ever asked these types of questions 20 years ago because these people didn’t exist. This is rapidly becoming the norm, not the exception.

Whatflowersareatmyfeet said 10 years ago:

Labels are perfectly freeing and empowering when they’re used properly. Labels make it possible for us to understand ourselves sometimes, but more importantly, they make it possible for us to make ourselves understood to others. Sure—referring to ourselves as ‘demisexuals’, ‘asexuals’, or ‘heterosexuals’ is labeling ourselves. But it isn’t any different—or shouldn’t be—than referring to ourselves as a ‘writer,’ a ‘Canadian,’ a ‘cat person,’ or a ‘student.’ Imagine the potential for communication and intimacy that would be lost if saying ‘I am a(n) ____’ became taboo. In the field of sexuality, communication and intimacy are doubly important, so labels become all the more appropriate there.

The problem is not with labels. It’s with how labels are understood by others. There’s a few different senses of ‘label’ that become problematic. One is when we label others without their consent —a way of shutting down the communication that labels are meant to help us achieve. Another is when we understand labels as being loaded with associations and stereotypes that don’t necessarily fit with it, and that’s a mistaken understanding of a label for much the same reason. Finally, and a bit more complexly, it’s a mistake to understand a label as permanent with respect to a given person. We have to recognize that people are capable of change and that sexuality may be fluid. Much like a ‘student’ may become a ‘writer’ or a ‘Canadian’ may become an ‘American’—an ‘asexual’ may become a ‘demisexual’ if their preferences and desires change. When someone says they don’t want to be labeled, they really just mean that they don’t wish to have their label misused or misunderstood.

If we keep labels free of stereotypes, use them to open communication, and think of people as complex, changing entities, labels become a freeing and necessary tool to understand ourselves and to explain ourselves to others. Humans are verbal creatures, and there’s really just no way we can conceivably avoid them.

LittleLychee said 10 years ago:

I take issue with what Viz says. “These people” DID exist 20 years ago, it just wasn’t acceptable. It was treated as a mental illness, or hidden away. My grandmother worked for someone many, many years ago. He was married with children and made a pass at her. Someone had told her he was gay and she confronted him about it. He didn’t deny it.

And I am not going to get myself dragged into a debate with you, Viz, about whether being gay is a mental illness. I HAVE a mental illness and friends who are gay, bi and pan so I take such assertions an EXTREME offence. If such assertions are made, I will get angry and I don’t like arguing with people when I am angry, it makes me say stupid things.

Deleted User said 10 years ago:

What is a mental illness and what is not is arbitrary as it is defined in the DSM, which is subject to lobbying, manipulations, errors, and so on. What is absurd is stating that it is an immutable property of a person, sometimes even that it’s “genetic”. This, of course, equals claiming that free will does not exist.

20 years ago there were no pansexual genderqueer otherkin multiple systems. The fact that it became somewhat ‘acceptable’ (although only in particularly bizarre social circles) is not a welcome development by any means. It is an invention of the modern era that produced a generation of attention-starved teenagers that will do absolutely anything to appear unique to their peers if their personality lacks any interesting and/or extraordinary qualities, so they have to resort to invented ones.

Whatflowersareatmyfeet said 10 years ago:

There is definitely a genetic component of sexuality, but this doesn’t mean we don’t have free will. Even if sexuality were entirely determined by our genes, it wouldn’t mean this. Partly because it’s possible to see free will and determinism as compatible and partly because we could still make a considerable number of decisions related and unrelated to sexuality/gender/sex. If you think that we have to control everything that defines us or happens to us in order for free will to be true, I’m pretty sure nobody’s going to be defending your brand of free will anytime soon.

As someone who identifies as demisexual, a new sexuality, I have personal evidence that the newer sexualities aren’t inventions. I went a long time feeling like I didn’t fit in, which was something that made me feel lonely and confused rather than something that made me feel hip and cool. It took me a long time to tell my friends, so I definitely wasn’t doing it to be interesting and special in their eyes. If I could change my sexuality, I would, since there are a number of hard things about it, including a difficulty finding intimacy.

I think labels are probably most important for people who feel alone in this way because they can foster a sense of community and give the person a way to explain themselves both inwardly and outwardly. This is especially true for asexuals and demisexuals, who can feel isolated in a highly sexualized culture and like they don’t fit in with lgbt culture because their struggles aren’t the same. But it could understandably be true for others who feel like they don’t fit the bounds of well-known sexualities as well– those who label themselves genderqueer or pansexual.