Jess said 10 years, 7 months ago:

Coming out is hard, but so much easier when you get good reactions in return, it makes coming out worth it, to know you no longer have to hide who you are and people you care about love this side of you. So let’s focus on positive reactions in this thread!

I haven’t gotten any really remarkable reactions, but when I told my Mum she said she already knew and she loved me and it didn’t change a thing between us. She’s very supportive.

(p.s. would you be okay having a thread for discussing and venting about negative reactions? Or would you rather keep this group as positive as possible?)

Kim said 10 years, 7 months ago:

*Sigh* My mother didn’t seem very accepting of the fact that i like all genders. My dad however heh, he said this ” Get as much as you can, girl. ” However being a hermaphrodite too kind of makes it fun. I mean best of all worlds, am I right?

Ravenstag said 10 years, 7 months ago:

When I told my grandmother and father, they pretty much had the reaction of “Well, whatever makes you happy, I’m cool with.” and my closest friend responded with “Oh, that’s fine! I’m totally supportive of you and everything, girl.”
It was a lot less scary than I thought it would be, but I’m glad I did it.

ZGP said 10 years, 7 months ago:

I’ve had a few good ones.
When i told my friend that i was dating a woman she said “wow 3 for 3! im queer, (mutual best freind) is queer and you too!”
My grandma was pretty awesome too. she grew up as a religious conservative WASP, but when she heard about me dating a woman she went on this whole long tyrade about how stupid it was that people these days cant just love who they love. I was lucky had tons of suportive friends and family members. I can only wish that everyone elses experieince was as good as mine.

ZGP said 10 years, 7 months ago:

My brother pretty much gave me a high five and demanded that we go pick up chicks together.

RiverSong said 10 years, 7 months ago:

The best reaction I got was my sister. When I told her she said, “Duh! Weren’t you and *insert friend’s name* dating?”. I almost cried I was so happy with her reaction.
Another good one is a friend of mine whose response was to cry. When I asked her about it she said, “I’m just so happy that you are happy!”
Good times were had.
If only all reactions could be this awesome.

Montblanc said 10 years, 7 months ago:

My mother has been pretty damn supportive and was unbelievably accepting, at least in my opinion. My dad not so much.
My step sister is best of all though, she eventually gave me some of her clothing to HAVE and is absolutely cool with it (probably do to the fact she herself is bisexual), I love it.

Sof said 10 years, 7 months ago:

Haha…Oh when I came out to my best friend she told me something like “Oh…really?, well I’m not surprised, Knowing you, you may as well said that you wanted to become a lesbian. You’re weird, I love ya” haha, and my other best friend told me “really?! I totally want go out with you to pick up and check out girls!”….She’s so very straight though!…haha. Those are probably the best reactions i have gotten, It was pretty funny. (:

Shananasaurus said 10 years, 7 months ago:

When I came out to my Dad he got this look on his face like he was getting really serious and said:
“Well, if you’re going to date women there are three things you need to know;
1. If it’s not on, it’s not on
2. If it’s got wheels or a skirt, it’s going to cost you money and you’re going to have trouble with it.
3. More than a handful is a waste.”

EveMazing said 10 years, 6 months ago:

I told my mom when I thought I was getting serious with my first real girlfriend. She said, “Well I always kinda figured.”

Hikari said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Everyone I know was pretty good about it really.. but what most surprised me and touched me was my grandmother’s reaction,because I know she’s very religious. However, she just hugged me and asked if she could see my girlfriend over vid chat and basically fangirled over us, haha..

Valeska said 10 years, 6 months ago:

I am straight, but when I was much younger, I didn’t even know what the term “coming out the closet” meant lol. My friend was like, “So I’ve decided to come out of the closet…”

“That’s the best thing you found to wear? Really? Clearly you should have stayed in…” I responded.

He thought I was being a bitch regarding his pink, flowery shirt lol. We got into an argument until I realised what he was talking about lol.

Yoshi said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Well, a while ago, I was so confused about my sexuality. I thought I was a lesbian for the longest time. When I told my dad, he just laughed and asked if he could call me his second son. I thought it was funny and it eased coming out. Now, I’ve realize I’m pansexual and when I told my mom and she told me that it was great and asked what I wanted for supper. My parents made the whole transition between confusions easier.

secretly me said 10 years, 6 months ago:

I never really got any bad reactions which is suprising considering my family is very strict and doesnt believe in mixing races or gay rights. I came out this year in Feb 23 to my mom and she was so supportive and I thought she would disown me, shes even trying to get girls numbers for me which is so weird! I told my older brother before any other family members and he just made jokes but that was his way of accepting it and letting me know he still supported it. I told my 16 year old brother and he didnt understand the concept, hes been really sheltered so he still doesnt understand the term “gay or bisexual”. I havent told my dad because I’m still scared to tell him. He would disown me. I’ve tried telling him. I’m a big daddys girl so he would take it really hard. I didnt lose any family members or friends.

cyberangel said 10 years, 5 months ago:

I came out (as bisexual) to my friends and parents in 2012 and i figured out that i have two bisexual cousins. Also, in 2013, my bff asked me out and now we’re dating (we’re both girls and she went gay for me). My life is like a fairy tale right now.
Also, my friend came out as bisexual to her mom (who is also bisexual) and her mom said ” well we don’t call you a mini version of me for nothin!”