itsokaysammy said 8 years, 6 months ago:

It’s really tough having BPD while your soulmate is an empath. I don’t want to go into detail but I was wondering if anyone had any insight or advice or experience.

Humanist Hope said 8 years, 6 months ago:

Empathy is not a supernatural phenomenon or power. It is the result of mirror neurons in the brain.

That being said, it is not a bad thing that your S/O is identifying closely with your emotions and cares how you feel. That is a very good thing. What the two of you need is to temper your responses to each other’s emotions. As a couple, you need to be able to function around one another during each other’s highs and during your lows.

Jess said 8 years, 6 months ago:

My boyfriend has BPD and I have a disorder of my own. Sometimes we have our moments and things suck but we are closer than any two other people Ive ever met. I love that. Wouldnt trade him for anything in the world. Communication and therapy to help manage BPD (or any disorder for that matter) are key

itsokaysammy said 8 years, 6 months ago:

How am I “to temper my responses to each other’s emotions?” And how do we work it out so we can function around our highs and lows? It’s hard being so connected. When one of us is down the other one is too because we are upset the other is hurting.