Sandyx said 10 years, 1 month ago:

I have anxiety and depression since as long as I can remember. It has been a while since I felt the confidence to learn to drive with a driving instructor.

Two months ago my driving instructor who is also my family friend had told me to book my test. Ever since the one month countdown, my stress and anxiety has increased dramatically to the point that my driver instructor told me to pull over and told me that there was no point doing the test anymore because the assessor would be put off by my shallow breathing and other signs of stress and anxiety.

I am devastated and despite giving 100 percent for dozens of lessons. It has amounted to nothing in the long run. I feel that I am on a constant circle that all problems come back to the fact that I am sick and things for other people including my family and friends are a thousand time easier because they don’t have mental illness.

It seems that no matter how hard I try, I will fail. I am feeling hopeless and sick. What can I do?

Riss said 10 years, 1 month ago:

I don’t think what your driving instructor said is necessarily true. I had the same issue.

When I went for my driving exam, I had driven only once or twice over several months. Throughout the entire exam I was shaking and was breathing heavily. I even almost cried at one point. But I got my license. Despite my anxiety, the examiner could see that I knew what I was doing, and I think yours will too.

Also, I believe going through the exam — whether you pass or fail — would be good for you because it might help lower your anxiety if you have to do it again, knowing what the exam entails. Or you’ll get there and realize, “Wow, this isn’t so bad.” It lasts ten-fifteen minutes in total. You’ll do great. :)

Shy Bird said 10 years ago:

Hello,
I really relate to your experience with the driving test. When I took mine, I became so anxious that I was making myself sick. I passed on the first time. Anxiety is extremely hard to get rid of, but deep breathing, and just telling yourself that the anxiety isn’t real helps some. At the very least, the anxiety will make you more aware to what is going on around you. Good luck!