Gleb said 7 years, 12 months ago:

Hi guys,
I was wondering. I live in Israel, where the there is mandatory military service. Now I have depression and anxiety which sucks. Is it fair for a country to protect its citizens at the cost of its soldiers’ mental health?

dearestxchelly said 7 years, 12 months ago:

no, that’s why it’s the government’s responsibility to provide support for veterans with ptsd, though some countries can be really slack with that, it’s disappointing and sad to hear really..

Gleb said 7 years, 11 months ago:

You’re right. Now I talked to both the military psychiatrist and psychologist. They advised taking medication. Medication only eliminates the symptoms. It’s necessary to eliminate the reason, the source for the disease. What should I do in this case? I’m afraid they’ll only let me go if I get suicidal again.

dearestxchelly said 7 years, 11 months ago:

it’s really difficult to say since i’m also not familiar with your country’s laws and policies, can’t you get a referral from your doctors? (meaning your doctor advises you to not have to go through military service)

My family doctor is pro-military and in order to avoid service I have to get an appointment from the psychiatrist. Which will have a negative effect on my future life in the country. :(

dearestxchelly said 7 years, 11 months ago:

ah alright, so i guess it’s just one or the other then? doesn’t sound like you’ve got much of a choice or control :/

Unfortunately I don’t. I’ll try to get through this. Who knows..