punkin-pie said 10 years, 3 months ago:

Just interested in hearing people’s experiences.

Anyone ever been in an open relationship, like completely open, whether it was a good or bad experience.

Jessiebelle said 10 years, 3 months ago:

Open relationships can be very successful, but like all relationships they depend on the people in them.

I have had open relationships that crashed and burned, but I’ve also seen extremely happy open relationships. It always depends on the persons and their motivations.

First and foremost: Know yourself and know your boundaries. This video might be a good place to start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoYxd3E3UXU . If you go into a relationship assuming that you’ll just be okay with everything it’s not going to end well.

Secondly, be kind and go slow with everyone. Asking for permission is a show of respect and consideration. It’s not a sign that you’re not really open. It’s very important that both partners maintain a constant level of care and kindness.

Thirdly, avoid the fallacies. Geek social fallacies: http://www.plausiblydeniable.com/opinion/gsf.html. Geek sex fallacies: http://pervocracy.blogspot.ca/2012/02/geek-social-fallacies-of-sex.html. Geek relationship fallacies: http://captainawkward.com/2012/04/16/geek-relationship-fallacies/.

Also important: Why do you want an open relationship? This is important for both partners and there should be a consistent check-in for why you want this kind of relationship. If either of you are in it because the other person wants it and you want that person, it’s not going to end well.

Reading suggestions: The ethical slut: http://www.amazon.ca/Ethical-Slut-Dossie-Easton/dp/1587613379/ref=pd_sim_b_1 and Opening Up: http://www.amazon.ca/Opening-Up-Creating-Sustaining-Relationships/dp/157344295X/ref=pd_sim_b_1.
Ethical Slut is more philosophy and…hippie-do pie-in-the-sky idealism and Opening up is more concrete exercises and facts. Both are useful though. Take what you want from both and make it work for you.

Fundamentally every relationship should make you happy, no matter who or how you do it. If you’re ever more sad/angry/jealous/miserable than happy you need to reassess the relationship.

Pancake said 10 years, 3 months ago:

I’m totally against them, I mean if you’re just goofing around I think that’s okay if you’re able to keep yourself away from falling in love with the other person, cause once you fall in love with them it’s gonna ruin everything.

I’m going to disagree with you Flamecrayon, polyamory is a thing that many people (that I know in real-life) are extremely happy with.

Being in love with more than one person can be fun, heartwarming and great for all the people involved. I’ve seen poly relationships that have been open/had multiple loves (i.e. committed, loving relationships at the same time) for years that are still going strong.

But, like I said, it depends on the people in them. Like every relationship.

becausemeagan said 10 years, 3 months ago:

I was!
It was a friend with benefit dumb crap.
I literally had no feelings for this guy…well I did but I knew better
then to really like him because he would openly hangout with this
girl and she post on Facebook how they hungout. Yet, I was a big secret. This relationship, I guess, lasted a few months. Then September rolled around and I met a new guy. And he was so different. He didn’t try anything stupid. He was nice. And I fell in love. And he asked me out on sweetest day last year. Meanwhile, this ex fling caught wind of this and was questioning me. I remember he texted me “maybe I wanted to date you” BUT he had like several months to do so. My boyfriend only needed a few days and he found he loved me.

so the lesson from all of this is open relationships aren’t bad. And they can be fun. But someone will get hurt and it’s not always easy to just forget what you had with this partner but someone to me will always get hurt.

Yes, it’s true that most open relationships end with someone hurt, but that’s also true of closed relationships. Monogamy is no guarantee that a person won’t be hurt.

A lot of time people will put the blame for the failure of open relationships on the openness, but these relationships fail for the same reasons any relationship fails.

becausemegan, if you were in a closed relationship it wouldn’t have made the guy less of a jerk. It probably wouldn’t have even made you a public girlfriend. If anything, the openness of the relationship helped you meet the new guy without the guilt of cheating. You said yourself that the relationship wasn’t very stable or serious.

I feel like I’m constantly defending open relationships, but I will maintain that there’s not much different between open relationships and closed relationships. The relationship depends on the people in it, not on how it works.

you will keep defending them because most open relationships go sour.

honestly, the openness of that relationship didn’t help me meet anyone. It made me so resentful of most guys and cautious.

That was not my ONLY open relationship trust me. Im not saying this just from one open relationship. I have had quite a few.

And that’s what it does to people. Most of the people (girls) I know in open relationships are unhappy. Along the lines of this quote, “you accept the love you think you deserve” girls in particular accept this love they think they deserve because these guys suggest keep their relationships open and the girl always gets hurt.

that’s why they suck.

A dysfunctional relationship, one where any of the partners is constantly acquiescing to the demands of another will not end well whether it is monogamous or not.

Most relationships do not end on happy notes, whether monogamous or not. Once again I will assert that monogamy is no guarantee of happiness, stability or a continuing relationship.

Most of the closed relationships I’ve seen have ended sour. Does that mean that monogamy is a fool’s game and always curdles every relationship? No. It means that most relationships end and very few end happy.

I don’t see where you take umbrage with any of my points, yet you assert that I’m wrong because you have anecdotes. I have anecdotes too. Ones that contradict yours.

I was once in an open relationship that ended with both partners going their separate ways happily and without spite, we still see each other and wave.

I was once in an open relationship that never even really started, we just hung out for a bit, then agreed that we should probably not date. He’s now dating my best friend in a (shocker) polyamorous relationship that’s been going for three years and his married partner has a lovely girlfriend. They are all very happy (all five of them) and wonderful.

Not all open relationships are casual, not all open relationships end badly and not all open relationships are devoid of romantic, loving feelings.

Boundaries are important in any relationship. If you’re in a relationship because you think it’s all you deserve it’s not going to be a good relationship. If you just accept what your partner wants and never speak up about your wants it’s not going to be a good relationship. The rules that make a good relationship do not change based on the nature of the relationship.

There’s nothing inherently bad about open relationships, they get a bad rap because people blame the failure of the relationship entirely on the openness but the reasons they fail are the same reasons a closed relationship would fail.

I am not taking offense to your points and I didn’t say you were wrong. So don’t put words out that aren’t being said.

Once more, I am just saying. In personal situations and experiences, which you cant make assumptions about because you don’t really know what could have happen if it was a closed or open relationship yeah. But every time, has been bad.

A friend of mine finalized her open relationship but no longer speaking to the partner and now she feels relieved but I think she will always wonder what really could have been. She wanted more. And for most, not all, but most people tend to get discouraged by open relationships because they do not feel good enough for that other person.

Open relations are an excuse to have multiple partners at once and not to feel guilty. But no matter what that guilt to me would always be there because someone always ends up getting strung along or put down.

On the end note, I see what you are saying however it is a tad contradictory because of the fact that you defend both sides here. Yeah I agree any type of relationship could end sour, poorly, or awkwardly. However, I gave my personal answer. And I do take offense because you really have no idea the situation or the people I have dealt with and the feelings of loneness at the end of the day.

It depends on the person. And I am a person and I am speaking for myself and many others who have been in open relationships and were not satisfied. I said open relationships aren’t bad but they aren’t always going to be someone’s cup of tea.

Also once more. I am in NO WAY offended by your points, views, or belief’s. I didn’t think it was right to say that because of my open relationship I met my boyfriend. Which had nothing to do with it at all. By that point I had enough of open relationships & that guy. So those things have nothing to do with each other. You can’t really make assumptions off of someone’s personal experience. Had it been a pleasant experience I would totally agree. But it wasn’t and the relationships before then weren’t much satisfying either.