Deleted User said 10 years, 7 months ago:

In July I met a guy and we hit it off right away. After a week of flirting we discussed that we like each other a lot, but we needed to not be official because I was going away for college and his ex girlfriend is still in the picture. The reason his ex is still in the picture is because they rented out an apartment together when they were together. Things went down and they broke up in March, but she is still signed on the lease to the apartment so she can come and go as she pleases. Also, she still text messages him and calls him all the time. He hardly responds to her and he has told me he wants nothing to do with her. Over the summer we would text every day/night and see each other every weekend. He took me on a date and I even got to meet his parents. He was my first kiss and we did some activities, but I am still a virgin. Two weeks before I left for college his father got into a car accident and I was there to comfort him. My last week home I spent as much time as I could with him. He reassured me everything was going to be okay between us even though I would be states away, he told me he would text me, call me and maybe come over to see me. Unfortunately the first night I arrived at my college he seemed off. His text messages were different and he suddenly stopped in the middle of our conversation. I reacted immediately and started to over think. I called up my brother who is friends with him and asked if he knew anything that was wrong with him. I got a text from him and he told me that he was dealing with stress and that he wasn’t sleeping well. So I trusted his word and left him so he could sleep. He didn’t get back to me until 2 days later. I was freaking out over those two days that I didn’t hear from him and he told me to calm down. He finally told me why he was stressing and it was because his dad went to the ER because of his concussion from the accident. I felt like a jerk for over reacting and decided to leave him alone. It hasn’t been the same ever since then and that was September 7th. He text messages me, we talk for a good half hour or so and then he leaves in the middle of the conversation and gets back to me hours or days later. I try to get things back to where we were, but he doesn’t reciprocate with my flirting. I have told him that I miss him and he never responded back that he misses me. I have given him as much space I can, I don’t text him first or call him and we are states away. He always started the text messages and just suddenly bails. I go home for my birthday next week and I hopefully can talk to him, but it is just upsetting that we are no longer the way we used to be and I really like him. Sorry this is so long, but by any chance can I have some feedback on my situation?

Avery Cabret said 10 years, 7 months ago:

I placed myself in your shoes,
and I went through an entire spectrum of emotions as I read what you had written.

I felt fear that maybe his ex girlfriend would create problems for your relationship.

I felt the happiness of your building bond,
and the joy of your first kiss.

I felt both the cold sadness and warm comfort that you both shared, after his father got into that car accident.

And when his text messages become less and less frequent, I feel fear, with a hint of anger.

I feel afraid.
I worry that your relationship is coming apart.
That you’re losing that closeness you once had, despite everything that you’re doing, to prevent it from happening.

And slowly, that worry finds its way to sadness.
Because I don’t want you to have to watch him fade from your life.

I empathize with you.
And I’m so sorry that you’re in this lonely position right now.

———

You must have so many questions.

I know I do.

Does he feel the growing emotional distance, the same way that you do?

Is it difficult for him, being so far away now?

Is there someone else in his life, with whom he may be falling in love?

———

It’s tough.

And whatever questions you may want to ask him,
there’s no promising that you’ll get the answers that you want to hear.

On one hand, it could be something you never would have thought.
Like that one time his father had to go to the ER because of a concussion.

On the other hand,
you might get an answer that you’ve been dreading, all along.

You could still get some answers though, you know? If anything, it might be nice to have closure.

And if you choose not to bring your thoughts and feelings up with him,
then your life will go on, with or without him.

The choice is entirely yours,
and I’d like to wish you luck.

Have a happy birthday, at the very least.

Mesmerizing Goldfish said 10 years, 7 months ago:

First off, he’s the kind of impulsive guy that signs a lease with a girl far too early. Second, it is not that hard to break least/sublet a least so you don’t have to live with said ex girlfriend. Third, he didn’t need to be texting her.

This guy was shady from the start. He’s not bf material, let along long distance material. You’re better than him and I know this and I haven’t even met the guy yet. Expand out of the world (and guys) you knew & meet someone new where you are now. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. Good luck <3

hazel said 10 years, 7 months ago:

No you shouldnt give up on someone you like because you will regret it in the future about what could of happened!! It might take time so dont pressure him just offer your help! And if he doesnt let you in after you put all your energy you can give up on him because you will know that you gave all of you so you woukdnt regret it

Exie said 10 years, 7 months ago:

Maybe he doesn’t need space right now, maybe he needs someone to be close with and talk to.

MzKimiko said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Ronan’s response was like poetry… that was beautiful.