Deleted User said 10 years, 8 months ago:

I’ve had the absolute most difficult time getting a date. So much so, in fact, that I’ve never had a date. While there are easily a variety of reasons for this, I wanted to start a topic on only one of them.

Is there any way to make one’s self more attractive? I have evidence that I’m below average on the attraction scale, and that’s before I apply my own opinion even. I’m doing all the standard stuff; shower, brush teeth, exercise (even finally starting to lose weight). Nothing works. What is it that can make a man so unattractive? What makes a man so vile that no one dares approach him?

Jackie said 10 years, 8 months ago:

Confidence is key. No one will ever love you if you can’t learn to love yourself. Be happy with who you are, and do what you love. People admire that. Laugh a lot, and love your life. If other people see you enjoying yourself, they will want to enjoy you too!

Is arrogance good enough? The last thing I need is confidence…

Stefan said 10 years, 8 months ago:

“What makes a man so vile that no one dares approach him?”
I’m assuming your a straight male here, but in most places guys are still expected to do most of the approaching. If you haven’t been approached by women before that doesn’t necessarily mean anything. Us guys are kind of lucky that we aren’t held up to the same standards for physical attractiveness that women are (we’re held up to some other unreasonable standards, but if attractiveness is the one you’re worried about it might mean less than you think).
Just meeting girls/women (idk your age), acting confident, and letting them see the positives of your personality is a lot more important. Even gorgeous guys get rejected once in a while.

Stefan; Yeah, that was probably bad phrasing on my part. How about this instead: “What makes man so vile that people run away the second they have a chance?”

And yes, there are tons of other things to worry about, but I’m kinda just trying to tackle one thing at a time here. :p

I’m going to agree with Jackie and Stefan. It has to do with the confidence that comes from learning to love and accept ourselves. People take their cues on how to treat us from how we treat ourselves. If you view yourself as someone who is “vile”, people do pick up on that. Putting yourself down, using self-depreciating humor, etc sends others the message that you don’t value yourself and they shouldn’t value you either.

It’s easy to think that gorgeous people have easy, happy, problem free lives. There are a lot of miserable beautiful people in the world. Marylin Monroe is an example that springs to mind. In way, I think people who are incredibly attractive have it harder in some ways considering the difficult transition they will have as they age. If someone bases their value on something as superficial as looks …what happens when those are gone?

Ultimately, it doesn’t matter what you look like…there is someone out there for you (perhaps more “someones” than you think) if you open your heart to the possibility of love.

KayBear(: said 10 years, 8 months ago:

Confidence is defiantly key in getting a girl. I think that you might be looking in the wrong places for girls. Try to change it up a bit and get to know all the kinds of girls out there and then decide what kind of girl you would be interested in but don’t have to high of standards because you might miss out on something great. its okay to have a list in mind of the qualities in a girlfriend that you would like because that’s normal but don’t let that list be everything to you.

Hypatia: There’s no point in opening up my heart because there’s several holes all about it for stuff to leak out of. Really. Had two surgeries to fix it.

KayBear: I got no place to look other than school, which has a few dozen problems… And I only have about 50 things on my list. Yeah, kinda annoyed me when that one guy said if you have five things on your list, get used to be single. Oh wells.

girls love guys with confidence, intelligence, and a good sense of humor.

Nevermind… just forget it…I can’t explain anything, and thus, can’t get any answers.