Levi-UR said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Just want to throw out a useful website for keeping up with venters. Its called Chatstep it lets you create a chat-room instantly for free no registration required. its useful for keeping up with venters or good listeners. here the link: https://chatstep.com/

Humanist Hope said 9 years, 9 months ago:

@fickle-reality

That’s a great resource. Thanks for the tip. :)

Panda said 9 years, 9 months ago:

@blackholehead

It would be awesome to add the topic to our discussion, check it out.

http://blahtherapy.com/user-groups/guy-talk-970137159/forum/topic/blahtherapy-needs-to-change/

Treeboy said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Quick question, Jonathan. You’re not a telephone counselor or a counselor by any chance? Your original post reminds me of a lot of the stuff I learned when I went through training.

Humanist Hope said 9 years, 8 months ago:

@treeboy

I’m a volunteer. I’ve never had any formal training in counseling; I’m just a peer.

Mellow Mallow said 9 years, 7 months ago:

This is very helpful to me, as a newer listener to this website. Thank you for posting it and having it available for us.

Ian Moone said 9 years, 6 months ago:

first of thank you for your advice, I’ve just joined this site, and think it’s great.
If you need to contact someone for immediate help, yet not all Venters live near you, how do you go about that?
I mean people from around the world are on here.

Humanist Hope said 9 years, 6 months ago:

I do not make myself available for contact outside of the internet. I am a peer counselor, and I will be friendly with Venters, but I am not a professional, and I can not realistically become friends with every Venter with whom I speak, I would overextend myself.

I tell everyone that my inbox is always open.

rinseandrep said 9 years, 6 months ago:

I think they (@invisiblehand94gmail-com) mean who to contact in case they speak with a venter and they think that person needs immediate attention from authorities/social services. If the venter gave you any way for authorities to track them down, you can look for some authority and inform them. If the venter didn’t, you can’t do much, and the venter didn’t want you to do anything to begin with.

MJ said 9 years, 6 months ago:

I don’t know if it was said but I think it’s important to note that it’s okay for listeners to be venters sometimes! And probably healthy!

Rick Brrr said 9 years, 5 months ago:

I hope to become a very good peer one day. I already think I’m a good listener. I still have room to improve.

Casper said 9 years, 3 months ago:

Can I add that when I vent, people tend to try as hard as possible to come up with a solution? I’ve tried to explain why it doesn’t work that way to them, but they always reply with, “If you’re sad then try to be happy,” or things like that. They don’t seem to understand that what I tend to need is a way to get my mind off the subject, not a solution, because they’re not a therapist, they’re a listener.

Whenever I avoid coming up with solutions the venter seems happier with my advice.

Deleted User said 9 years, 3 months ago:

I agree, sometimes for some problems their is no quick fix solutions-for those problems you just need a good listener to vent to.

Deleted User said 9 years, 1 month ago:

I’ve been both a listener and venter on this website, and from both experiences you learn to become a better listener.

I have noticed that there is one rude person on this chat a lot tho, as a listener, he (i think it is a he) has contact with the girl who made the site? But this person is really judgemental really quick. and makes fun of your issue. That is horrible. So I try to be supportive, weither it’s dark and serious, or because it’s a bit more minor or just something bugging someone’s mind. But we are here to help people, not make them feel worse, make them cry or that they should be ashamed having some trouble with something.