NeverSunset said 10 years, 5 months ago:

When I try to vent, well actually to find someone to talk to, they usually asked me who am I. I don’t want to be known to someone I just meet, so I usually gave them my age only, no gender or name, then they suddenly disconnected. It always happen. I don’t know why they do this, I wouldn’t leave anyone if they choose to be anonymous, I mean, we got a “nickname” for a reason right?

Deleted User said 10 years, 5 months ago:

I think some people on here tend to want to know people rather than actually helping them. I like getting to know people and making friends but my main priority is to help an individual through struggles, but I guess they don’t think/act the same.

Yawn said 10 years, 5 months ago:

They ask you who you are? Why would they do that… No, that’s not what they should be doing in the beginning. Atleast a “hello” would be nicer and it really doesn’t matter what your real name or gender is, listeners are here to listen. Listeners gotta do what a listener gotta do, not be an Omegle Asl person.

True, people do have different concepts of a listener. But don’t feel bad if they do leave the conversation, they’re not really the best listeners around here. There are many people on this site that can help you, and WON’T ask you for your personal identity.

rinseandrep said 10 years, 5 months ago:

I think you are safe telling people age and gender, if they ask your name you can tell a fake one if it bothers you, but now that I think about it whenever a venter asks my name it’s usually to see if i’m a girl, and then they disconnect when I’m not. People that want to talk only to certain genders/age ranges will disconnect on you no matter what. Keep trying, there are a lot of listeners, I usually ask age and gender only when I’m trying to frame the matter discussed.

@rinseandrep , yes that’s true. That’s why I don’t want to give out my gender. If they know I’m a guy they will disconnect, if I don’t tell them anything, they disconnect. Why do they even become a “Listener” if they only want to talk to girls? They can go to dating site instead…

Sometimes I want a girl point of view though, when someone goes “what difference does it make?”, or refuses, it’s annoying. To be honest it never happened to me to be skipped a few times on a row for my gender, it’s quite episodic, there’s another listener/venter behind the corner.

Well, a venter is someone who need to talk to others, not someone who listen. I don’t see why gender matters here. Unless if you are a venter, and needs some advice from your listener, you may ask their gender. That’s my point.

Oh yeah, sorry, my last reply was only about listeners.