Peanutter said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Personally, I wish I was older. I wouldn’t say that adolescence is the worst stage in our lives, it varies from person to person. But for me it doesn’t feel that hot. Now I’m not trying to say that we have it bad or anything like that. It’s just that you feel so emotionally trapped and powerless. You feel like a time bomb of hormones ready to explode at anytime.

I was reading an article about how adolescent brains are not fully developed. The prefrontal cortex (which is located under your forehead) is the part of the brain which controls reasoning. Which is why teenagers, including me make really dumb choices.

My sister, who is now 27, told me that she definitely has to work harder in life. However she told me that she is more content with life than she was in her teens. Many older folk say something along the lines of, “Just try to enjoy it while you can.” This saying feels like a double-edged sword in some cases. How can some people enjoy their youth if they have no freedom. You have to move to a different home and deal with it. You have to sometimes live with abusive parents and deal with it. You’re forced to go to a place that you’re not happy and you have to deal with it.

What do you guys think?

Rora said 9 years, 1 month ago:

I feel exactly the same way if anything you’ve worded It better then I could’ve. I remember as a little girl I was so excited to be a teenager but now that I am I feel, as you said, like a bomb full of emotions. It really does suck especially when, like in my situation, you’re not given much freedom and forced to live in a place where you are not happy. I’ve talked to my older sister about this and she says that its just apart of life. I really do wish I was older. Things are really hard to handle at this age even the little things at times and it really sucks. It seems as an adult you become more content and can grasp things better than you did in your youth.

Deleted User said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Tbh, I don’t want to get older. Getting older means there will be more responsibilities, and I don’t feel like I can handle them. When school started after summer break, I had to start living away from home, in this apartment together with two other girls I didn’t know before, in order to go to the school I wanted to go to, and I feel like that’s too much responsibility already. Buying groceries, making food, cleaning the apartment (I do that with my roommates though), it’s not going too well. My eating habits have gotten really bad too.

I don’t want to grow up, or get any more responsibilities. I don’t know how to pay my bills, as my parents made it so they’re paid automatically. I feel like I either buy too little food and other stuff one month, or too much another. I’m turning 18 next year, and I’m not ready for it at all.

But I know there are a lot of people who wants to grow up as fast as possible, and there’s nothing wrong or weird with that. Life is different for all for us, so some people enjoy life as a teen, while others don’t, and they all have their reasons.

littlemouse said 9 years ago:

I’ve moved out of home recently to study and am fully independent, i have my own share house which i pay rent for, i do all my own shopping, cleaning, organisation, i live off a student salary because i study full time and can’t work, but i can get work once im out of uni which will pay more than what i am getting currently.
And you know what? I love it. Being independent is extraordinarily freeing. So no, I’m perfectly happy with who i am and how old i am (18) and i don’t wish i was older.

Icecoldperson said 9 years ago:

I say enjoy every part of your life because you are never going to live it again. Every stage of your life has advantages and disadvantages.

Mx.Izzy said 9 years ago:

I don’t want to grow up either. There were some rough events in my childhood, but I would much rather be an innocent, happy kid than being a teenager. Things were much simpler and no one was on my back about grades, school, medication, relationships, employment, etc.

Deleted User said 9 years ago:

I do feel like this too, just wanting to be independent, living by yourself, enjoying life. But we are not psychically mature yet, or have an independent well funded future.

Maggie said 9 years ago:

I think my parents has prepared me well to live by myself. We now live 170km apart and I feel perfectly fine. I study, do shopping, make food, clean the apartment. I left home at the age of 19. I share an apartment with my boyfriend ( he lives 240km away from his parents). He left his home 3 years earlier than me as he had to go to another city to attent high school he wanted. (He was 16 then). And I now can see it was way too early for him. He wants to visit home as often as he can. This 3 years maked huge difference as I could live my life as a teenager with my parents nearby and he had to grow up very quickly. The responsibility was too big for him bank then. And now I am grown up and he wants to stay “child” as long as possible. (But because of this 3 years of experience he sometimes behaves more mature than me)

Catie said 9 years ago:

I wish I was older all the time. I just want more independence and freedom. I think I would be so much happier.