hipstageek101 said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I have been looking at tattoos for a while now and i found an amazing dream catcher tattoo. My dad say’s that if i save up i can get it, but my mom says no because she thinks i’m to young. So all i want to know is if I’m to young to get a tattoo or not.

The Author said 10 years, 2 months ago:

You’re 14. In all honesty, I’d say yes – you’re much too young to make such an important decision that will influence your future irreversibly.

Riss said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I would say wait until you’re 18, only because 1. you wouldn’t need your parents to go with you to sign anything and 2. if after four years, you still want that tattoo, it will NEVER be one that you regret or doubt.

Soph said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Please don’t do it yet! Wait a few years til you’re certain you want it.

Appe Juice said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Absolutely not. A tattoo is something you have to think A LOT about. Well… at least the first one. After the 3rd you won’t care much.

During your teen years, your brain is still in formation and your body is being filled with a lot of weird hormones. Opinions, tastes, mood (specially mood) change all the time. You may regret have your tattoo in less than a week and hate yourself for it.

Wait till you are more stable and then do it. That should happen when you turn 18, 20 or something like that.

I had my first one done when I was 28. It took me that long because I wanted something special and also I wanted to be able to afford it.

And another thing, depending on where you do it, it will hurt like hell.

Deleted User said 10 years, 2 months ago:

14 is way to young for a tattoo, it took me 4yrs to decide what was the exact design i wanted and i am now 27 and have still only got 2 which i love. Take your time and be patient, it’s not something you can get and then change your mind like a piercing.

Alexandra said 10 years, 2 months ago:

As someone with multiple tattoos, I will definitely side with those saying you are too young. It’s not a bad thing, it’s just that you change so much that what you thought was amazing now may not be how you feel 4 years from now.

Give yourself time to grow and learn about yourself. Then get a tattoo that exemplifies that.

punky said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I’m just going to add a little something biological to this. At fourteen you still haven’t finished growing. There’s a chance that even if you love the tattoo until your dying day it’ll warp slightly as you grow up. The reason they want you to wait until you’re eighteen isn’t just because you might change your mind, it’s the fact that your body WILL change.
Believe me, four years is really nothing, and it’ll be better over all in the long run.

Good Villager said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I agree with most people as well. Unless you think you can handle the regret of a bad decision, don’t do it. As we mature, we change our point of view about a lot of things.
I usually let a tattoo idea in my head for one or two years, and if I still like it, I might do it.

And as punky said, you’re still growing. Most body parts you have now will grow some centimeters, but that’s enough to distort the design, and nobody wants a distorted tattoo.

[.jessica|acissej.] said 10 years ago:

Aside from the fact that you’re a bit young to be getting a tattoo, along with the aforementioned biological/growth aspect – I feel that no reputable shop should allow a 14 year old to get tattooed in their establishment. A handful of shops in my area won’t allow anyone under 18 to be tattooed and don’t even offer the option of parental consent. If you’re going to do it regardless of the advice posted here, just know there is a risk that you won’t like it later, that it will warp as your body matures and a shop that allows someone as young as 14 to get tattooed prob ably isn’t the greatest shop choice to begin with.

Brooke said 10 years ago:

it’s a good idea to wait you may have a change of heart when you older about it and tattoo’s are for life …4 years will be over before you know it

Annika said 10 years ago:

It might me a little late but maybe it’ll do someone some good. As far as I know the lowest age for a tattoo is 16 just because your skin is still stretching as you grow. So that’s a biological reason. I have to admit I got mine at 15 and from experience I can say that just in 5 years I have grown into a different person. What once meant the world to me doesn’t anymore so you should really conciser your reasons to having it. I you really, really want one start with a small one in a place that is not on display for everyone… or just wait and see if you still want it as badly in a year or so.

The Monster said 9 years, 12 months ago:

I got my first tattoo at 18 and I regret it so much. No, this is not a good decision at all.
You’re too young for this, I hate to say it but you are in this case. I was too young for my first tattoo. I only enjoy the one I got when I was 20. Now I spend every other day scrubbing my first tattoo off.

Being Mary Jane said 9 years, 12 months ago:

Don’t get a tattoo ! I say that because I don’t like them. So my answer is biased anyways. But 14 is definitely too young.

Deleted User said 9 years, 12 months ago:

Just wait for a little bit longer.
As a teen your moods and opinions change rapidly, and you may end up regretting that tattoo within a month.
By the time you’re 18, if you still want that tattoo, I’d say definitely go for it.
Also, tattoos hurt, and they can hurt a lot depending on where you get them.
So that’s another reason to wait until you’re around 18 to get it, you’ll be thankful you waited if you do.