CourtneyAriel said 10 years, 7 months ago:

I have been trying different ways to get over my social anxiety or at least deal with it. Tomorrow I have decided after class I will make myself go to the mall by myself, kind of like a date with myself to prove I can do things alone and by myself. I even want to attempt to visit the food court while I’m there. Is this too big of a step? I feel super nervous and am feeling panicky just thinking about it, but i feel like it’s something I need to do. Will this help me?

Jess said 10 years, 7 months ago:

Ultimately, yes, butit really depends on how you feel, your level of anxiety of the situation, plus a lot more as well. What might be good for one person is not good for another. Nothing is universal.

At the end of this post, I will put a direct link to a PDF file (that you don’t have to save, you can just open) of two worksheets that were given to me by my therapist helping me with social anxiety. The sheets are about ‘situational exposure’, which is what you’re trying to do now. The sheets are very helpful, in my opinion. Very easy to read also.

Don’t try to push yourself too hard because these sorts of things can backfire, so it’s important to take it at your own pace, and these worksheets help you to do that. Situational exposure is a part of social anxiety treatments, so when done properly, it does help.

I hope they help. Good luck. :) If you have any questions just post them in this same thread.

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/docs/ACF395E.pdf

˙·٠•●♥ Angel Wings ♥●•٠ said 10 years, 7 months ago:

That’s a good attempt you’re taking. I hope everything goes well for you! Best of luck and let us know how it went :D and don’t be disappointed if anything goes wrong. Be a strong girl and just face it.

Jess said 10 years, 7 months ago:

(Whoops forgot the link, but it’s in the post now)

CourtneyAriel said 10 years, 7 months ago:

So Today went by better than I had hoped. I felt nervous driving, I was actually so anxious I skipped class to get it over with, but it went good. I was able to go to more than one store (on the empty part of the mall but it’s just a small step)I got what I needed and survived haha I skipped he food court I felt like I couldn’t take that on just yet. One step at a time =]

˙·٠•●♥ Angel Wings ♥●•٠ said 10 years, 7 months ago:

Thats great! way to go! :D

SourKiss said 10 years, 6 months ago:

You can do it! I do similar things on occasion. It helps to buy something small like a drink and pay quickly preferably using the exact amount of money in cash… then sit and try to people watch.