rosepiper said 10 years, 3 months ago:

“Opposites attract”. Who hasn’t heard this phrase at some point in their life. Sure it’s true about magnets, but when it comes to finding your soul mate, would you rather spend your life with someone similar to you? or someone opposite?

Jess said 10 years, 3 months ago:

Someone similar. If you have too many difference, not talking on a superficial level, talking like, personality traits and morals and goals, it’s going to pull you in different directions. On a superficial level, it’ll cause little arguments and disagreements and doing thing separate that you’d rather do together. Obviously you don’t want someone almost exactly the same, or else you’ll get bored or lose your sense of individuality, you need someone to challenge you but not fight you.

I’ve never understood this quote when apply to relationships.

(◣_◢)Poet said 10 years, 3 months ago:

well i’d imagine a combination is what’s best. i’m the type who likes to be able to learn from someone i love as well share aspects of our personality. I don’t want someone too similar to me in a way that nothing feels fresh, but rather so familiar that it annoys me because its as if i’m dating myself and if all wanted was to love myself then i don’t need a partner for that.

so yeah, a combination. perhaps spiritually, i’d want to share a lot. the base of our core beliefs i’d like to be in sync, but socially, emotionally…i’d want someone different just enough to where i need to pay attention to what i can adopt from them; ultimately that is what leads to you admiring someone, being able to appreciate how they are different from you.

Riss said 10 years, 3 months ago:

I think there is a good balance between being different and being the same. My significant other and I are very similar in terms of maturity, past experiences, values, etc. But at the same time we have very different ways of coping, vices, interests, etc. that help to balance each other out.

Acid Wolfpack said 10 years, 3 months ago:

I’m looking for someone complimentary. Someone that has enough difference to make it dynamic and interesting but someone who has enough in common with me to share a bond. For example, my boyfriend and I. We share a love for the same type of music, videogames, books, food, basically all those types of things, however we are different in a way that makes it interesting. Say we were playing a videogame together, my first intention will be to go and clear out all the enemies as fast as possible and be done with the mission within a record time, His intention would be to clear out the enemies, but more importantly look for treasure, trophies, emblems, collectibles and things like that. We are different but we are sharing those differences doing the same thing. Playing video games together.

Chosen Undead said 10 years, 3 months ago:

In a romantic relationship, I feel that a good balance between similarities and differences is very important. Sharing special moments with significant other (bonding over the same band, supporting a hobby, etc) is important because it shows mutual understanding. However, you DO need to have some things to yourself. You can’t share everything with your lover, you’d become smothered.

I find that with my best friend, “opposites attract” works to the definition. She’s a promiscuous party girl whose main goals involve flings with guys. I’m on the other end of the spectrum; finding most my time with computers or games, I only involve myself exclusively in my committed relationship and my goals are oriented around success. However, her and I are most comfortable together and all of our little arguments are forgiven before anyone really gets hurt. It definitely keeps things interesting if there are differences, but it’s the mutual understanding that keeps the bond between the people.

Mindnight said 10 years, 3 months ago:

Both is absolutely needed. Me and my love, we are so similar but soooo different. Sometimes it makes us crazy, but on the other hand it´s great and we are never bored.