redlove96 said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Can you be in a relationship but at the same time be best friends with someone of the opposite gender? Do you think its inappropriate? Does it get in the way of your relationship? What do y’all think?

rinseandrep said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Yes, specially if you share a good intimacy with them. I don’t think it’s bad, but, even if they are the best, they shouldn’t be your only good friend, you need points of view outside the relationship too for advice/venting.

MemorableFriend said 10 years, 5 months ago:

I agree. I think it’s fine.

The problem lies with jealousy. Often partners can get jealous of such a close friend, and maybe be suspect that something is going on.

In my experience a lot of men have trouble being just friends with a girl. A lot of them are friends but are still interested and just waiting for them to break up or something. This may not be true of people who are older but in the age group of 18-25 I find about 75% of men are like this.

Deleted User said 10 years, 5 months ago:

I think that’s perfectly possible!
You can be good friends without wanting more than just being friends (:

Do you think it’s good to have your boyfriend/girlfriend be your best friend or do you need to have someone else aside from them?

Hannah said 10 years, 5 months ago:

I personally think you should have a separate best friend. I think that you should have someone else to lean on. Someone you can go to for advice. You should have a friend that is there for you no matter what.
No matter how amazing your boy/girlfriend is, the relationship is most likely going to end. Friendships last way longer than relationships do, so when/if your relationship ends, it’s nice to have a best friend to fall back on, that’ll be there for you no matter what.
Friends can be there for you and keep your secrets and look out for you.
When your heart gets broken and they’re your best friend, then who will be there to comfort you, to hold you while you’re crying, to dry your tears? That’s what a best friend is for.

That’s true. Do you think its good for your friends to spend time with you alone, or is it cool for your boyfriend/girlfriend to be there too? Do they take away from girl/guy time? Make things awkward?

Laureeen said 10 years, 5 months ago:

It’s perfectly fine! As long as there’s no intimacy.

Dannizy said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Managing time between your boy/girlfriend and best friend is usually important. You should give each one-on-one time with just you and them. It’s fine for all of you to hang out, but you don’t want to constantly hang out and ditch one of them.

erin said 10 years, 5 months ago:

I think that there isn’t a problem and it’s perfectly fine, unless your boyfriend gets too jealous or your best friend does. In that case, if they ever get in too big of a fight, they might make you pick sides- that’s really the only major problem I could see happen, though.

May Loan said 10 years, 5 months ago:

in my opinion it is best to have you boyfriend or girlfriend be your best friend because what if your other bestfriend starts to have feelings for you and then… messyy

Do you think intimate moments are necessary? or can a relationship be more like ‘best friends in love’?

Angel Demon said 10 years, 5 months ago:

In my opinion, intimacy isn’t a necessity, more of a want than anything. I believe that when it is true love, intimacy doesn’t matter. When a relationship is dependant on intimacy, that’s lust, not love. Because love has no conditions, and such things wouldn’t matter. All true love is unconditional.

To melt friendship and love isn’t a lot funny and ridiculous?

am i the only one who thinks, true ever lasting love needs commitment + amazing sex. But then again ive no idea or experience on “true love”:)
@chiburu i think there’s no better feeling than being intimate with someone you love, it gives you some divine power and strangely its inspirational.