Deleted User said 9 years, 10 months ago:

So – I buy clothes that I love. For example, one shirt I bought I find classy, elegant, and beautiful – I love wearing it. HOWEVER, before buying it, I chatted with 2 guys online. One of them said it looked old fashioned and like a teacher (what’s wrong w/teachers btw?) and the other guy told me it was too conservative even though he had said that he likes girls to dress conservatively.

Then lately I showed 2 guys a photo of me wearing it and one said it’s old fashioned and the other one said it makes me look unapproachable (since when does what you wear make you seem approachable or not? isn’t it about if you have a smile on your face?)

That shirt was a sleeveless silk chiffon blouse that started at the neck and has a black ribbon in the back. When I got it a lot of girls online said it was awful and old fashioned and they’d rather wear a trash bag. At the time I thought they were just upset because I mentioned I bought it from Dolce and Gabbana, but after hearing guys’ comments I’m starting to think my shirt really is terrible. Also I asked this girl yesterday whose major is design and she says it makes me look old. (Since when is age determined by what you wear, not your face/arms and wrinkles?)

And my other shirt I really like and the design girl said the cut is unflattering (it’s just a normal v-neck) and she said I should never wear patterns. This guy also said he doesn’t like the v-neck. And the girls from earlier said it looks like something worn by someone living in the basement with their cats, something worse than what their grandmother wears, etc.

So now I’m wondering…people online hate my clothes….do people in real life mostly hate my clothes too? Sure, I understand you should wear what you like, but if 99% of people look at my clothes and think “ewwwww that looks so bad,” honestly I’d rather avoid attracting negative attention.

DJ Not Nice said 9 years, 10 months ago:

It probably isn’t bad looking. Seems to me that the people you’ve talked to online are just fashion snobs.

“And the girls from earlier said it looks like something worn by someone living in the basement with their cats, something worse than what their grandmother wears, etc.”
Hasn’t she heard in Thrift Shop? ‘I wear your grand dad’s clothes, I look incredible’

I doubt anyone would go as far as to hate your clothes. Some people might not like them, others might like them. I personally wouldn’t care about what you wear, and having some unique clothing is a huge plus for anyone in my book, as most people look the same nowadays, wearing the same kind of clothing it feels like seeing clones of the same sheep-mold factory. My dad often tells me I wear the same shit he used to wear at my age when he was in college, so really fashion goes in cycle. And the 2010s saw the revival of a retro style, so don’t worry about looking old. :)

Thanks DJ! Yeah I guess they are fashion snobs.

and the sad thing is I actually have a fashion and makeup blog lol

ABrighterDay said 9 years, 10 months ago:

It’s hard to stay confident when you receive negative comments. Seeing as how people you talk to have nothing nice to say about your fashion choices, maybe there’s no point in asking them for their opinions. They might be trying to help you by telling you their preferences, but ultimately what you wear is up to you.

Yeah, you’re right. I didn’t know they would say negative things when I asked their opinions.

I’m actually totally opposite. I would never say anything bad about what someone is wearing….even if I didn’t like it!