Deleted User said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I will be the first to say that anyone who truly believes they suffer from an issue suffers from an issue, whether it be physical, emotional, spiritual, etc. If a person feels they are hurting inside, then they are indeed.

The topic was created to suggest and invite thinking about the idea of psychological disorders. A lot of them are genetic and a per-disposition is established, but are we creating our own disorders?

For example would a person have a poor body image if someone WASN’T calling them fat or if there were so many pictures and headlines of the “perfect person”?

Would someone suffer from depression and feelings of being worthless if people DIDN’T judge them for where they are at a certain point in life and assign different steps and things a person should get done by a certain age. For example starting a career or being married by 30.

I can’t help but wonder if perhaps we are CREATING our own psychological dysfunctions for ourselves and for others.

I wanted to post it on here because I know guys and girls both go through similar things and I would like to hear the opinions and thoughts from both sexes.

Hope you all are enjoying your mornings, I look forward to hearing from you. Message me if you need anything!

FriendsNotFangs said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I definitely agree with you. Of course there are some mental disorders that people are just born with, but I think society and things that happen in our life is a huge factor.
For example, my Grandmother was perfectly fine before my Grandfather died and now she’s depressed, can’t remember anything, she just is a mess no matter how any of us try to help. Things like that you sometimes just can’t do anything.
I know from my own experiences that I was diagnosed with extreme test anxiety, and we figured out it was because I was given timed tests when I was in first grade and was yelled at when I didn’t finish them on time. See that would never have happened if I hadn’t and her as a teacher.

rinseandrep said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I’ve read recently Viktor Frankl’s considerations of (unavoidable) pain as a source of dignity, versus the american idea that being unhappy is wrong and eventually something to be ashamed of.

I think your considerations need to be read in a way that doesn’t make people feel more guilty for not being happy, rather than accepting that there will always be moments of sadness and it’s ok to experience them, and you don’t have to be perfect. “Ah, we as a society cause our own problems”, so not only you feel bad, you are also part of the problem of why you feel bad, so feel bad about that too. At the same time, they can also encourage more feelings of being a victim, pushing aside putting the effort to do the work you can do to deal with your problems, while idling in resentment towards other people/society.

So, yeah, society has too high standards, people tend to repeat the cycle of invalidation rather than stopping it, etc., but you are the only one who can help yourself (even just by asking for help), and you can’t expect society to change, you can just be the change you want to see.

Tyler said 9 years, 9 months ago:

To a degree, I think you are correct; in a certain way, we create a thing that we call a mental disorder to explain some unnatural phenomena that’s relatively unknown in a society, something that’s alien to the ‘norm’. But then, we do that with everything. “Oh, what’s this brown bean? Never seen it. I’ll call it… ‘coffee’.”

All that is, is a name given to something to explain it; in this scenario, it’s a name given to a particular set of symptoms that manifests in such a way that it doesn’t fit in to the order we like to put things in to; a common order of the human mind, which is why we call it a ‘mental disorder’.

Now, to set the record straight, I suffer from three of these ‘disorders’. Bi-Polar, Depression and Anxiety. By definition, if what you’re saying is the truth, they’d have taken all three of my disorders, grouped them and named them something else.

I think we live in a horrible society for people with disorders. We live in a world where labels are the easiest thing to stick on to people, where we need to have a label instantly for something we don’t understand.

Basically, I don’t think we’re creating the disorders, I think we’re creating a lot of labels for a lot of things that aren’t necessarily as wrong as they seem.

That’s my twopence anyway.

Life_breath_truth said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I agree that we are putting labels on things. I “suffer” from a series of disorders. Doctors are coming up with names for “disorders” like a person naming millions of dogs.

I think it’s both genetic and environmental – and if it’s genetic, environmental factors can make it worse. I do think people are over-diagnosed though. I don’t particularly trust psychiatrists as a lot of them prescribe their patients’ medication after just one visit. I believe it takes more than a single visit to try to understand someone’s mental health. Medication helps, but I don’t think it’s the definite answer. We still don’t properly know what depression is about. What makes it a diagnosable illness? At some point I’m sure everyone shows symptoms of depression and/or other illnesses. But is it how often someone suffers it that determines whether they officially have “depression”? These questions are still being asked and medication being thrown every which way when we don’t fully understand what we’re dealing with here.

Having said this, I’ve battled a depressive illness since I was a teenager, I’ve tried different medications and they do help but I’ve also trained my mind to better deal with it if I choose not to take the medication (as some of the side affects don’t always agree with me).

My point is, yes, to some degree I do think we can actually make our “disorders” worse. Environmental factors like the ones you’ve already mentioned always make a difference, but I think we could do with some education on how to deal with all of this. Instead of simultaneously trying to fix our illnesses while ironically promoting what can make it worse. We should be able to talk about all of this without the fear of stigmas as well. Because whether people want to believe it or not – depressive illnesses are real and I think people do suffer more than they are willing to admit from fear of being stigmatised – because it happens, it’s happened to me and it’s infuriating (sorry to go on a tangent, lol).

Are we creating our own psychological disorders?

Ans. Simply Yes!

There is always trigger, that causes an issue in the past. Which when left unchecked, can develop into these disorders.
Albeit, some people have some funky brain imbalance, most of them pull through it, its only the weak of mind that suffer the most.

I want to thank you all for taking time out to offer your feedback on the topic. I think each one of you had valid points that were educational, informative, and thought out. Thanks everyone!

Soulfound said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Please settle on one key point here. I’m very confused. Empathy and sympathy. What are you questioning directly. there is a correlation but I’m finding what you are inquiring to be too broad to trivialize. There is cognitive development happening internally and externally, both social and isolated. Personal goals and commutative goals. BUT what is helping more? the social input? the “opening up” or “tearing down”? or the disclosure?

(o’-'O) not to be too direct. Nuclear medicine student here. just quite curious to the epitome of opinions here

DJ Not Nice said 9 years, 9 months ago:

It depends on the situation and the person, @soulfound. A person could very well get more of a situation with the disclosure, if they want the situation they’re in to be ultimately revealed (as goal), while another only needs to open up to someone or themselves (managing thoughts) and solve their situation by themselves.

@DJnotnice. I do believe this site is a perfect example of the opening process working beneficially. Disorders are everywhere. Not all can be treated or necessarily need treatment. BUT as the PET scan shows, the new adapations to your body DO happen. Chemically, tissue change. :/

@soulfound, indeed, tissue change, and our bodies change, so what really are disorders, then? I don’t think we have disorders, we’re just all genetically and in general biologically different. There are no disorders, only the illusion of disorders, because we see similarities in symptoms and behaviours, which make us think that what we perceive as ‘disorders’ are unnatural (dis-order; the opposite of in order, or following a ‘natural’ process) or at least, some kind of disease we catch. Some might be harmful, yes, others not so much; most are not wanted by people who have these “disorders”, but they’re part of who we are and we either suppress them through medications, therapy or by ourselves, or we embrace the condition and live with it. But in the end, ‘disorders’ develop with us, positively or negatively.

“disorders” are cues. thats all.

Disorders are just labels to outcast people.