Deleted User said 10 years, 5 months ago:

In English we have choose a significant and/or noteworthy novel from the following list:

http://www.perfectionlearning.com/top%20100-american-lit-titles

I wanted to get some opinions and find out what is recommended.

The novels we’re not allowed to choose are: The Great Gatsby, The Scarlet Letter, The Crucible, Fahrenheit 451 and The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.

Thanks guys!

Vivid Melody said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Well it depends what you like but if you don’t get enough feedback here I suggest reading some reviews on Amazon to get an idea of what you might like.

From the list I would personally choose: To Kill a Mockingbird. I liked it a lot. Catcher in the Rye was kind of depressing but by the end of it I realized I really did like it. It’s written in an interesting way. I think I remember reading The House on Mango Street and it being good but I can’t seem to remember the details. Pretty sure I enjoyed The Call of the Wild as well though it’s also sad. And I haven’t read The Freedom Writers Diary but I watched the movie so I’m sure the book must be good because the movie was very inspirational.

Deleted User said 10 years, 5 months ago:

I picked To Kill a Mockingbird, and I’ve read Catcher in the Rye already, and it’s quite a lovely book. I agree, it is rather depressing, but Holden is one of the most interesting characters, ever.

Vivid Melody said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Oh cool. I agree. Hope you enjoy To Kill a Mockingbird. There’s also a movie of it you can watch after you read the book (or before if you’d prefer) :)

Deleted User said 10 years, 4 months ago:

If you ever choose to read any more books from that list. I’ll suggest one that many might not. The Autobiography of Malcolm X. It was given to me in a bag of book donations and was the last one I read. I just thought I’d have no interest. I had little knowledge on who he was and what I thought was mostly wrong. Plus, I thought an autobiography wouldn’t be all that interesting. It gives a very interesting perspective to what happened in America in previous decades. But one thing I will say is if you start it, finish it or you’ll get the wrong idea about who he was.

blackdog said 10 years, 4 months ago:

Walden, hands down. Nothing else on the list competes for sheer beauty.

Definitely read either The Road, The Color Purple or To Kill A Mockingbird.

Those three are absolutely amazing and I’m so glad I had the opportunity to read them in my Lit classes. The Road might be kind of iffy for some because of the lack of punctuation but it’s really worth the read, and both The Color Purple and To Kill A Mockingbird are just amazing.

Riss said 10 years, 4 months ago:

The Secret Life of Bees! The book was good, and the movie made very few changes to my recollection. A Streetcar Named Desire would also be a good choice! It’s in the form of a play, so it’d be a pretty fast read.

Adrienne said 10 years, 4 months ago:

I’ve read a lot of those books and I’m currently reading The Color Purple.

I read The Color of Water two summers ago and I loved it. It starts off kind of slow but once you get into it there’s so much depth and thought in the stories he tells of his childhood and his mother.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy was a book completely different from any book I’ve ever read but the way the book is written parallels the themes of the book (loneliness, solitude, etc.)

I loved the Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. I read this three summers ago and it’s a book I’ll never forget. I highly recommend it (but don’t be put off from how long it is!)

I’m also currently reading The Fountainhead and I love it so far. Unlike other stories, I found that this book was very easy to get into from the first page. Again, don’t be put off from how long it is!

I have Out of the Dust but just haven’t been able to start it yet. Same goes for To Kill a Mockingbird, Into the Wild, and the Scarlet Letter.

Out of those I really enjoyed two of them:

1) The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
2) Little Women