cynicalgravy said 8 years, 7 months ago:

There isn’t really a specific genre I favorite but I lean towards historical fiction, fantasy, and sci-fi for the most part. If it’s a good book I’m fine with it.

Bubstaa said 8 years, 7 months ago:

I love fantasy books! I’ll just copy and paste some from a previous post.
Entire:
Wheel of Time series- Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson,
Three Worlds series- Ian Irvine,
Black Magician trilogy- Trudi Canavan,
Age of the five trilogy- Trudi Canavan,
The Belgariad, the Malloreon, the Elenium and the Tamuli series- David and Leigh Eddings and
The farseer and Tawny Man trilogies- Robin Hobb.

Enjoy. I did.

Hopefullylesspretentious said 8 years, 7 months ago:

The Stranger. Or The Fall.- both by Albert Camus, if you have the patience for philosophy couched as excellently written novels. Very Nihilistic. Still somehow inspiring.
The Name of the Wind- by Patrick Rothfuss, if you’re looking for an inspiring main character. Kvothe manages to be a legendary fantasy hero in a relatively mundane fantasy world with no room for heroes and legends.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo- by Stig Larsson. Excellent story of overcoming abuse, but graphic abuse described in the book. Trigger warning for rape.
Mistborn, or anything by Brandon Sanderson, if you want a good story.
American Gods- by Neil Gaiman. Just…. read it. It’s magnificent. And indescribable.
The Dresden Files- by Jim Butcher. Awesome series, for all that it has a dysfunctional view of women. Lots of fun.
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas- by Hunter S. Thompson. Based on a true story, and you won’t understand how mindblowing that is until you read it. Hunter S. Thompson was a rockstar of journalism. Also possibly a doctor thereof. Don’t stop here, it’s bat country.
Slaughterhouse 5. Or Breakfast of Champions. Both by Kurt Vonnegut. Also indescribable, but quirky and funny and touching in all sorts of unique ways. If you liked Catch 22, these are a must.
Obviously Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams’ work, they’re both titans of literary comedy, and write damn good stories to boot.
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell- by Susannah Clarke. Odd, but surprisingly witty and overwhelmingly british about everything. Recommended to fans of Pratchett and Adams.
Worm- by John McCrae, AKA Wildbow. Online webserial that is the best thing I have ever read about superheroes. Dark, intelligent, witty, empowering, and manages to turn large amounts of the cast into relatable characters who would make respectable protagonists on their own. Also, one of the most satisfying stories of overcoming bullying I’ve read. Currently being edited for publishing purposes.
HPMOR- I’m not one to read fanfiction, usually, but Yudkowsky’s masterpiece defies the limitations of the genre. He writes like he’s sending a manuscript to a publisher, fleshes out characters better than Rowling, and writes a story that in my opinion puts the original to shame. All while inserting easy to understand explanations of decision making theory, economics, and psychology (His Harry was raised by an oxford biochemist instead of the Dursleys. Hijinks ensue.). Yudkowsky is a professional AI researcher, and works with a nonprofit that tries to provide free seminars on how to make better snap decisions. I highly recommend this. It’s currently in talks to be published, with all profits going to charity.
The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt- by Edmund Morris. This reads like an action adventure novel. It’s crazy and touching and badass in all the right ways, all the while still being a biography about a real person. Which is even crazier.