LittleBird said 9 years, 10 months ago:

My dad killed himself when I was 13. It’s the hardest thing to deal with. He overdosed on pills. His family blames me. They say if I was a better daughter then it wouldn’t have happened… That’s a lie.. I loved my dad.. So much. His depresssion ate him up, I saw it.. We did everything together. But he was depressed, and he had severe arthritis. I am now 18. I’m struggling. I’m just trying to make my dad proud. Due to bullying and depression of my own, I couldn’t graduate high school, so I’m getting my GED. I’m not a bad kid. I don’t party… drink or smoke.. His family hates me now! But i think it’s because they wanna pin the blame on someone. Pointing fingers.. I don’t talk to them. All they do is insult me. Tell me I’m a failure. I mean… Yeah I have depression too. Kids are so mean to me.. They tell me to kill myself like my dad did. I’ve tried once. But no success. They took me to a mental health place. (Two years ago) I feel empty. A part of me is dead… because my dad took it. Will I be okay? I’m trying to be strong.. Everyday hurts…

Deleted User said 9 years, 10 months ago:

well first off, i’m glad that you don’t blame yourself. you shouldn’t, even if his family tries to throw the blame at you. even if you have people around you that love you, if you’re suicidal, it’s hard to stay. it sucks that you couldn’t graduate, but it’s a good thing that you’re getting your GED. don’t listen to those kids or your dad’s family, they’re both wrong. if all your dad’s family does is harass you, then don’t talk to them. you don’t need that from anyone. i know things probably suck right now and have for a while, but you sound like a good person who’s trying their best and that’s all anyone can ask from you. if you can get professional help, get it. it’s not going to be easy to get over the death of your dad. losing a family member, especially a parent, changes your life. but from what you said about doing everything together and loving him, your dad must have loved you a lot too. and i can’t really speak for him, but i think most parents, even if their death was a suicide, would want their kids to keep moving forward.

sharkvee said 9 years, 9 months ago:

It’s awful that your family blames you and it’s a huge sign about yourself that you recognize that that’s not true. But you are definitely going to be okay. Look at how hard you’re trying to move forward, even when you were down before. You have no obligation to talk to his family or take what they say to heart. You’re making something of yourself and doing that will be the greatest statement you can ever make to them.

freyja said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I’m so sorry that this happened to you. Your family is severely disturbed for blaming you, and it’s totally in no way your fault. It was his choice and you were a child. But to answer your question – yes, you will be okay! You’re a strong person and I know you can make it through this. One day you will find something that will make you happy. After going through something like this, think of what a strong person you will be. I already admire you for your perseverance!

Hearmenow said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I’m glad to hear that you know that you’re not to blame for what he did. Unfortunately, people try to find a rational explanation for an irrational event, something or someone to blame, and in this case you. They needed something to project their emotions to, because they felt angry and perhaps guilty. Losing someone is never easy, especially not so suddenly like when a person takes their own life, intentionally or not.

I can’t imagine what you’ve been going through, but I know that it must have taken a strong person to keep on moving. I have no hesitation that you will be fine, you just have to keep on fighting. Not giving up, on achieving your goal, or yourself. Make him proud, and show them that they were wrong about you. Focus on the future, you decide what to do next, how to deal with the pieces you have.

There is no doubt in my mind that you will be happy, someday you’ll get there. And don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. They don’t get a say in who you are and what you can or cannot do. It’s up to you, and you alone.

Stay awesome!