Cherah said 8 years, 6 months ago:

I have been with my other half for 4 years, now. I am the happiest I have ever been. I love him with all my heart. But 2 years ago we had an incident. He had been drinking, a little… Way… Too much. We got into an argument, and it became physical. He held me down on the bed and started choking me. I was so shocked, I was paralyzed. I am not one to allow myself to be beaten. I was raised to know how to handle myself and hold my own in a fight. But that night, I just couldn’t fight back against him. He started to almost torture me. Squeezing my throat til I thought my head was going to pop off, then releasing long enough for me to get some air. Then he’d squeeze again. He released one time a little too long and I was able to get out a small scream. Thankfully my brothers heard me and came running. He went to jail that night, and spent a month. I have obviously forgiven him, and he has never laid a hand on me to hurt me again. He quit drinking and got help. But I still have nightmares at night. I can’t tell him any of this. It would hurt him horribly. How do I handle this and get over the nightmares? Someone please help.

Swifting said 8 years, 6 months ago:

You need to seek professional help and you need to talk to him about this. You need closure about that night just as much as he does. He made a huge mistake and you are not at fault for it. Unfortunately now you’re suffering the consequences and it’s time to get through this. The stress of going through that much physical abuse isn’t going away on it’s own. And, forgiving him – while a big deal isn’t going to make you be okay with what’s going on.

Get the right help for yourself. You deserve it.

Cass said 8 years, 6 months ago:

I agree, you should seek professional help. Yes, its something that he did once and hes never done it again but its still stuck with you. I also think you should talk to him about it to get closure.