notreallyhere said 9 years, 2 months ago:

I’m nearly 30 but I feel much older. Life has felt like a constant struggle and I have spent most of it just coasting along not really caring if I lived or died.
I have had a few high points and points in my life where I have had a purpose and felt loved and able to love.
But for the past year I’ve just been going along….going to work,home,bed-work, home, bed.
I haven’t been eating much and I’ve been smoking a lot and I look way older than my age.
I’ve had fleeting thoughts of ending it all but that almost seems like too much bother.
So instead without really thinking about it, I’ve been killing myself slowly.
I just feel so old in mind and spirit and I haven’t energy for anything anymore. I also like the feeling of being hungry because in some ways it reminds me that I am still alive which I know is weird.
I know I’m pathetic and I should have more drive and I should find a purpose but I don’t think it’s in me anymore. Anyway that’s my vent, no real need to reply I just felt like venting.

Dave said 9 years, 2 months ago:

If things that should make you feel good don’t do that, you may have a physical problem that you need anti-depressants to readjust. Please see a doctor.

countmouse said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Hello notreallyhere. I know you said there wasn’t a real need to reply, but I hope you don’t mind that I am.

I’m sorry to hear about where you are right now. I am relating to it from my own experiences of not feeling that I had any energy anymore to fight against the seemingly endless roar of waves, constantly threatening to drown me.

I would like to share a poem I came across last week. I know it can come across a little harsh in bits, I myself do not mean it in that way. But I like the point it makes in the end, and I thought maybe you might be able to see something in it as well. Or maybe not, but I’ll share it anyway just in case. I think it was written by a man named Sam Hayward:

“I am repeating

If you are a hammer
then everything is a nail

If you are a nail
expect to get hit
and don’t complain

If you are a butterfly and meet a hammer
you will be
lucky
wise
or
dead

The question makes a common and wrong assumption…

That YOU have a purpose in life

YOU DO NOT
NO! NO! NO!

You do not have a purpose in life

Life has a purpose in you

Life could not care less
whether you live or die
whether you are smart or stupid
whether you are ugly or beautiful
whether you are rich or poor
whether you are young or old
whether you are healthy or ill
whether you are striped or polka dotted
whether you laugh with delight or scream with despair

Life only cares
that you carry it
pass it on
promote it
succour it
protect it

Life has one purpose only
the seeking of available energy

That is all
nothing else
there never was
there never will be

If you don’t understand that you will never understand anything

Life has no interest in your
silly games
fantasies
imaginations
rituals
philosophies
Arts or Sciences
Victories or defeats
Undying loves, or burning hates

Life does not care
if you stand on a thousand pedestals and be praised in every land
anymore than it cares
if you die alone, forgotten in some arid desert, bleached by the sun

You are the purpose of life

Life does not ponder on you
Species come and go
Some swim, some fly,
Some seek gold at the ends of rainbows
Life does not care
so long as it continues

Ask the wind why it blows
Ask the river why it flows
Ask the Sun why it glows
Ask the cloud why it snows
Ask the grass why it grows
then ask Life what it knows”

You don’t think it’s in you anymore, but I want to gently remind you that by the sounds of it (and you’re probably already aware of it) you aren’t doing things for yourself that give you the energy to put more energy into things that could matter to you, nor are you spending the energy you do have in a manner that feels satisfying and fulfilling to you. You still have the potential, even if you don’t feel it in yourself. Sometimes our potential isn’t in how we feel inside, but in carrying on and acting regardless, having the capacity to act contrary to our own feelings and not being led by them, or even our own perceived physical limitations.

Exercise this mental strength despite how you feel, because it is a different kind of thing. Carrying on as you do, in this kind of zombie mode you are describing, is sort of along the lines of what I am talking about. But instead of doing things that do not logically result in your general health and well being, start doing things that will. It is the same as what you are doing now, just with different results.

The negative pattern of thinking in which you berate yourself, judge yourself harshly and call yourself pathetic, does not give you any energy. it invariably deprives you of it. Those thoughts will grind you into the ground unless you address them. Those thoughts may be part of you right now, but they are also not reflective of everything you are, and who you are. Just how you feel about yourself due to reasons you may or may not be aware of. Striving to be aware is more than half the battle.

Everything can have a beauty and depth to it, but we have to be present to experience it. We inherently experience a meaningful life, no matter what our creed is. Our brain is always working to produce a largely coherent and ongoing perception of our experience, of having self, of having senses with which to experience. Yes, you may need some medication, as the user above me suggests, it does depend on how you are assessed.

I do think we have to learn to some extent, how to be comfortable with uncomfortable – those waves of emptiness and hopelessness, to learn to just sit with them, get to know them well enough that we can let them pass over us like a dark grey cloud. Then we carry on with actively trying to experience in all of the ways we can, this strange and unforgiving force that is life, which always moves so ceaselessly in and between everything that ever was.

Thank you Dave,
I’ve no interest in going to doctor’s again and it’s not that things that should feel good don’t feel good anymore, it’s more that nothing has felt good ever really. My high’s have been what I would imagine other’s lows to be. That might sound presumptuous and probably is, but I find myself looking back and I just through,not really enjoying things,just getting through. I’m a very calm person almost emotionless and cant remember ever being any other way really,caring about other people at times-is about the height of it.

Thank you so very,very much countmouse,
Your response took a lot of effort and time and I appreciate it if not a bit unworthy of it.
What you say is very true and what you wrote is inspirational, your a very thoughtful person and Blah is lucky to have you here,
thank you.

Dave said 9 years, 2 months ago:

I won’t pester you on it, but I think it’s fair to say that having “no interest in going to doctor’s” is a symptom of your condition. You sound like you have no interest in anything. Which is not by any means your fault, it may just be that your brain needs some help to get working properly.

I would encourage you to trust others on this — as I’m sure I’m not the only one to have recommended it — and give a doctor another shot. Doesn’t have to be a psychiatrist. Just a family doc would be enough to get you a prescription. Worth a shot, and if it doesn’t work, what have you lost?

Please don’t feel bad if you find to any extent that my response doesn’t quite apply to you. I enjoy clarifying my thoughts in this way, but I understand that when I give the sorts of responses I give, they may not apply in the way I think they do to a person. I’m not sure if feeling bad about that at all is part of what influences you to feel ‘unworthy’, but just in case it is something like that, please don’t feel bad about that.

Your reaction to devalue yourself in saying you are unworthy is part of that negative internal dialogue running through your mind, I think. It’s often so automatic and seems so normal because it’s part of how we rationalize and think about everything in life that has anything to do with us, the profound way in which a lot of these small instances create our experiences easily goes unrecognized. If your mind is constantly reflecting to itself, quite negative, distorted and destructive beliefs about yourself and the world, it’s this self-defeating and immediately negating lens that you’re seeing everything through.

I wonder if you have you ever been assessed for something like Dysthymmia? The way you describe it, it sounds like a chronic disorder of some sort which you may or may not need medication and/or therapy for. Have you ever been formally screened for mental conditions through a psychologist?

I’m very appreciative of both of your responses, please don’t think I’m not.
I know why I feel this way, it was just my way of coping with alot of tough things in life.
I’ve seen psychologists in the past and I’ve been diagnosed with many things: PTSD, Dysthymmia, Dissociative Identity Disorder, Personality disorder,etc.-I saw so many they couldn’t make up there minds and in reality it’s just a label and it doesn’t matter.
I felt the need to vent because I was hospitalised recently for a problem with my heart from years of not eating properly,spent a few days in the psych ward to convince them that I wasn’t anorexic-which I’m not anymore,people with anorexia obsess about their weight,they restrict,they feel guilty when they eat-I don’t anymore,I used to be during my teens but this isn’t that.
I just failed to self-care,I like the feeling of hunger. And I think I felt the need to vent because I have to make a decision whether I’m going to follow up on the appointments or not,just let nature take it’s course or give it a push and I’m sorry to both you for wasting your time.
You are both good people!

You’re not wasting anyone’s time!

Thank you very much for your kind responses and sharing that information, I appreciate your openness.

It’s hard sometimes to think about doing actual activities that may feel overwhelming, like following up on appointments. Maybe just take it in steps on the day. Logically you probably know it’s a positive thing to go to your appointments, even if you don’t feel that way. All you have to do is make single decisions toward those things, like dialing a phone number is one decision. Putting on your shoes to go out, is another. Giving yourself tasks in bits and pieces like this might be of some help, and reduce the daunting aspect of completing an activity that, when you think of it as a whole, seems like a lot of effort.

Good luck with this, I really hope that you find what you need in due time.

Thanks for your advise, you have been very kind countmouse