Lady Lionhead said 10 years, 4 months ago:

I just feel like I’ve always been taken advantage of for being too honest, nice, naive, or gullible. Like to survive in this world, and truly thrive, you have to be a liar; you can’t be someone like me, who sees the best in people or gives people the benefit of the doubt. There have been many times when being honest or nice has come back to bite me in the ass, and I’m just starting to wonder if it’s worth it. For example:

I worked as a bank teller once, and during a rush I accidentally gave one of my customers too much money. Thinking it was my mistake and that I should pay for it, I paid for it out of my own pocket. Little did I know that this was called “floating” and was punishable by termination. I tried to explain that I wasn’t trying to “float” I was just trying to be a good person and own my mistake, and that no one explained “floating” to me before they started me working. No one cared. They just fired me.

Example #2: I worked at a fast food joint called Charley’s. I made bacon cheese french fries for a customer, the customer never came back for them and they were already paid for, so I offered the french fries for free to the next person in line, thinking it was no big deal and that food shouldn’t be wasted. Instantly fired for that too, as well as banned from working with the company the chain was under.

Example #3:
Asked if I ever committed a crime on a form, and I admitted to a misdemeanor where I had accidentally walked out of a store with a pair of $9 accessory earrings in my hands, and was fined $200, thinking that if I didn’t mention it they would find it in a background check and I would get in trouble. Ended up having to pay a lawyer $900 to clear the whole thing up, only to find out misdemeanors didn’t matter.

Example #4:
Had a boyfriend who was a sociopath who manipulated, lied, and scarred me for life, then left me like I was nothing.

Example #5:
Because I’m so honest and understanding, people always come to me with their problems, but never ask if I’m alright, or listen to mine with the same compassion.

Being good doesn’t matter. Being honest doesn’t matter. Besides these examples, who knows how many other times I’ve been lied to and just don’t know it because I’m just that naive. I should just become a heartless liar like everyone else.

blacksheep3 said 10 years, 4 months ago:

I can totally relate to this. I often feel like I’m getting screwed over by people because I’ve been told to always be nice. It makes it hard for me to confront people and tell them how I feel. And when I actually do tell people what I want I’m usually ignored.
I should just start being cut throat like everyone else. At least then I’ll get through life better.

KellyMichelle:) said 10 years, 4 months ago:

I am right there with you! I often wonder why people cant be more honest and real. But you cant let it get you down. You have to continue being a good and honest person. There arent many left. I know it seems like you keep getting knocked down and taken advantage of but its not your fault.. you were doing the right thing. Im sorry that youve encountered so many rude and heartless people but its not a reason to change… why would you want to be like them? I think the only thing to learn from those type of people is that it is okay to be selfish every once in a while.. meaning you dont want to be a pushover.. but i think its way better to be a kind good-hearted person than a selfish, heartless, and rude person.

Deleted User said 10 years, 4 months ago:

In all the cases you described you come off as incredible naive. Be honest to people who need it – your family, your real friends, not some acquaintance/ friend in need, not everyone appreciates honesty.
Human beings lie get with it, everyone on this thread has lied, screwed over someone without realizing it.
This world is not about being honest, but rather survival. that’s being real, and this is a fact that wont ever change, mainly coz we are an emotional race.

Vivid Melody said 10 years, 4 months ago:

The first three examples are just honest mistakes. You didn’t know. Well, now you do. I think it’s sweet you want to do the right thing. I guess it’s always best to make sure what the right thing to do is by asking your boss or researching the topic before you just go ahead and do something (for the future).

As for the sociopath boyfriend…that’s rough. Sociopaths are good at fooling people.

Becoming a heartless liar is not the answer. And besides, I doubt you could live with yourself if you became that anyway. Becoming wiser is the answer. You do seem more wiser now that you’ve been burned. We all have to learn the hard way sometimes and it sucks. But don’t allow these events to turn you bitter. Everyone’s strengths have drawbacks. I think being honest and kind are wonderful traits to have. But a little self-doubt causes one to consider new things.

Lady Lionhead said 10 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks everyone, for the replies. It helps to know that there are other people out there who can relate, at least.