ef92 said 10 years, 9 months ago:

Hi guys, How do you study material to memorise it faster and for longer?

Deleted User said 10 years, 9 months ago:

I don’t have to do that so much any more but I figured out colours and sections were my thing. When I had to memorise words it worked really well for me.

For speaking/writing tests (for German class, mind you) I’d have it all written up and it’d be split into the paragraphs already. Then I’d work through and write down the first letter of each word, and have one sentence per line. Then for each line I’d have alternate colours (for me it was red blue red blue…) and I’d literally sit for hours just working my way through it.

I’d start on the first paragraph: word by word, sentence by sentence. Once I got the first sentence down I’d add on another and keep going over it until I had the paragraph down. I’d be doing this verbally, and checking I had the words right every now and then or when I’d get stuck. Once I’d done the first paragraph I’d go and start testing myself by writing it down over and over again.

Might sound like a lot of work but once I got into the habit of it I’d pick up pace and by the end of it I’d be able to recite and write the entire thing word-for-word, at times it could be up to 2000 words (might not sound a lot but it was in a foreign language!) :P

I’d do something similar for poetry and quotes for books, or for memorising dates and facts – but obviously a lot less work involved. So yeah. That was pretty much my go-to study technique for memorising things.

Just Keep Going said 10 years, 9 months ago:

It’s pretty interesting the way you study.

For me, writing is what works. I write the text down on a paper just once, and when I’m done I’ve memorized everything, word by word. Reading and repeating just gets me annoyed and tired, but everyone is different.

You kind of have to figure out what’s the best way for you to learn.

So yeah, that’s it…

Love-and-be-loved said 10 years, 9 months ago:

I work well with colors but in things like math. When writing formulas I write each thing in a different color then when I do practice problems I use the same colors to help me remember

ef92 said 10 years, 9 months ago:

Does you use colours just for math?

I have to write things down a few times before I’ve learned it and after a test, I’ve forgotten it all!

Finis said 10 years, 8 months ago:

I find visual learning to be a good way of memorising.When I try to remember information i always see my notes as a picture in my mind and all I need to do is look at the picture and try to “locate” the needed info.:D
Thats why I always re write my notes on a seperate page neatly and with highlights!
ALSO it’s abit weird i know -__- but i image that i am the teacher and try to “explain” the study information to my “pupils”(best to do it when no ones home or at least not bothering you :D ).That way i can understand how it all the details i learned work in the big picture!

littlemissnovella said 10 years, 7 months ago:

We all have different techniques. It really depends on what you’re trying to study. When I studied engineering (finished my degree with it) I would practice problems and hope for the best on my exams (really I did).

In addition, when I am studying for psychology, I read the chapters before the class discusses that chapter, and re-read the day before the exam to retain the information. Other times, I am literally reading the chapters before the exam cause I wasn’t reading ahead of time, but still retaining information with my short-term memory.

It really depends on how you study :)

Good luck with everything <3

Mitz. said 10 years, 7 months ago:

I listen to a certain genre of music or playlist when I study a certain subject.

Nen said 10 years, 7 months ago:

I’m chewing gum with a certain flavour when I’m studying a special subject.

For example, cherry chewing gum for psychology, mint chewing gum for englisch etc.
While taking the exam, I’ll chew the same gum again.

It’s similar to listening the same music while studying, but you propably won’t be allowed to play the music while taking the exam.
The gum thing stimulates your sensorial memory, it works as well with scents, music etc.

When I studied with my best friend, I wore a perfum I normally don’t use. While taking the exam, we sat next to each other and I wore the same scent again. I don’t know if it helped but theoretically, it should be helpful.

I guess some kind of routine is always helpful. And I’ll remember the colour thing for myself, I guess I’ll learn a lot while working with colours :)

Exie said 10 years, 6 months ago:

There’s this one site called quizlet. It’s been pretty helpful to me.

http://www.quizlet.com/