tweeks said 10 years, 1 month ago:

I’ve been clean for almost a year and now I am starting to feel like I want start old habits.

I need some suggestions for alternatives you have tried that have worked (or didn’t but you think it might work for someone else).

Jai said 10 years, 1 month ago:

You say you have been clean for almost a year, so there must be something that must have held you that way. Try focusing on those same things again. The other thing is to keep yourself occupied all the time. I had a friend who had a similar sort of problem and she faced it whenever she felt low, it all stopped when she began to involve herself in activities, in other words, kept herself occupied.

One more thing is to remembering good times/memories when you are feeling as such.

Deleted User said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Whenever I feel like I want to cut I mess around with my glitter jar. I thought it sounded silly but I made one and just watching the glitter in the jar swirl around is quite calming honestly. They are also super easy to make. Plus they help when you are angry or just need to take your mind off of something. P.S. If you do make a glitter jar never use oil like they say it clumps the glitter so it doesn’t work to well.

Deleted User said 10 years, 1 month ago:

I usually paint, draw or write. If you’re not creative, you could play video games or watch movies. If you’re athletic, try running or playing whatever sport you do. The mind needs some stimulation and just doing something that you love truly helps. I found an idea on tumblr that really helps me. You make a box and fill it with things that stimulates all of the five senses. For example, mine has lotion to smell, cough drops to eat, water to drink, crayons to color with, old pictures and letters that I love to look at, and my favorite CD’s to listen to. I also have some squishy balls and a soft little bear to feel. A self-help box. You can decorate it however you like, and use it to calm yourself down. It has helped me more than anything!

Deleted User said 10 years ago:

I was clean for a year but recently I relapsed. I think the best thing to do is just concentrate on not doing it. The reason I did it is because I got out of bed and physically searched for something. The best thing to do is just do nothing. If that makes any sense? :/

UserA said 10 years ago:

I almost made a year twice and I relapsed. I think getting rid of anything that can be used to self-harm might help. You can get rid of it or ensure they’re out of your reach.

Another good idea is having someone to call when you feel this way. They will be able to talk to you and remind you of all the time you wanted to and didn’t.

Adviser said 10 years ago:

Interesting. You see, I never cut. Instead, I used to punch walls till my fingers break. I have scars on my knuckles.

My dad saw it and had an idea. “You need to punch something.” And I needed. So he put me to do Capoeira, Karate, Judo, Kung Fu and Muay Thai. In different years of course, not all at the same time. It was WONDERFUL. I met new people, exercise, and happened to punch a lot of stuff.

Martial arts are about respect and discipline and I had none. Helped me a lot, would surely help others. Give it a try.

Kristine said 10 years ago:

I’ve been trying to do more drawing when I feel like I want to cut, sometimes it helps and other times i doesn’t,but you just have to keep trying and don’t beat yourself up

Caela Ritchie said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I made myself something and I’m calling it my “happy box”

I found a gorgeous fabric box and I’ve started filling it with somethings that make me happy, help distract me or give me a reason to stay strong. I have a few magazines, some scented candles (vanilla lavender) , my favourite bubble bath, CHOCOLATE, some of my favourite CD’s, an iTunes gift card and a few small fidget toys. I found a nice jar and I coated the inside with glue, and glitter, and inside I have slips of paper. Each one has a reason I wanted to quit, something I can do instead of hurting myself, and some people phones numbers so I can call them and they can help distract me.