Humanist Hope said 10 years, 3 months ago:

Lately, I’ve taken to the habit of testing other Listeners. I will come up with a problem, a short history for the problem, and the most likely solution, and then go into chat. The closer the Listener is to bringing me to my solution, the more points they get. (There are no points.)

Which brings me to my idea. Listeners could be ranked according to interaction. After each session, when someone voluntarily terminates a conversation, the anonymous Listener could receive points awarded (or deducted) by the Venter. The higher the ranking, the more reliable you have proven to be, and the only manner in which one can acquire points is through the chat service.

Questions, comments, concerns, fellow Listeners?

Deleted User said 10 years, 3 months ago:

I think it’s a reasonable idea.. not sure how you could keep your points while still being anonymous with the changing alias. I like it, but like someone mentioned the other day on the QA, people would be saying “Oh I’m looking for someone who is a better listener than you.” Or “Hey I was looking for this person I lost connection with”, shying away from the fact you might have a shitty score. Know what I mean? Another thought, the reputation points kind of work like that for the site in general, but I haven’t always found the highly reputable people to be that much help sometimes. It’s just a matter of how relatable and knowledgeable they are to the situation. How they approach it and all.

Jess said 10 years, 3 months ago:

Not going to lie, I have pretended to be in distress and sought help for a problem that wasn’t real, looking for rude Listeners or trolls to report to help clean the chat up. I don’t do it very often though, I don’t want to waste genuinely helpful people’s time that could be used on someone who really needs it.

I agree with Worthless Soul and everything they said, it’s a tricky situation.

Adding to what they said though, I think while it’s good to be recognized for good things you do, you shouldn’t do good things to get something out of it, you should just do it for the sake for helping someone else, which is pretty much what this site is set up to do so I think having a reputation system for the chat isn’t the way to go.

I think answering questions and getting voted up or down is a pretty stable, good system that lets us be rewarded and also to give us credibility, but I have also been on another forum where ‘Reputation’ could be given (or taken away) on every single aspect of the website, it was taken so so seriously and caused so many problems that they had to delete the feature.

So. I think what BlahTherapy has now is a pretty good set up.

Humanist Hope said 10 years, 3 months ago:

Agreed.

TrustedWeakness said 10 years, 3 months ago:

What BlahTherapy has isn’t a bad set up, but I personally spend a lot more time in the chat than browsing questions. I’ve messaged someone about their problem, and they turned down everything I said due to my low standing on the site (and somehow getting a -1 in the Q&A, having never put anything up there I have no idea what that’s about.

Yet I’ve spent hours in the chat helping people. So I think it’s a good idea for there to be ‘something’ for the chat-hub. However, there are still quite a few trolls on here, and having too open of a system would probably result in the trolls ruining listeners “points” (or what ever it may be).

A system would have to be put in place so that if a single person down voted too many listeners (ratio wise to how many they’ve had), some penalty be put in place (maybe first time is a warning instead of a real penalty?). If you were wrongly convicted, it could be undone with an appeal. What do you guys think?

Edit: The penalty increases in severity each time you’re convicted.

I know the game “League of Legends” has a “Player Tribunal” system (Players of a certain standing become the jury, and select whether to deal out a punishment or not.) It works out quite well, and a system like that would fit in well on this site. Again, what do you guys think?