Julia said 10 years, 8 months ago:

How do you cope with your invisible illnesses or how do you help other people cope with theirs? When life seems to become impossible, sometimes we need a helping hand or motivation to keep going despite our circumstances.

For me personally living with a chronic pain syndrome sometimes I feel hopeless of ever truly getting better, that even though I have good days I will still always have those bad days that hold me back. One of the things that has helped me through is church and trusting in the Lord. I get emails daily from Rest Ministries (Chronic Illness and Pain Support) to inspire me to keep going and believe that God has a plan for me and that helps more than I ever thought it would.

I also feel like the small miracles in the world give me hope such as seeing a rare bird in a tree or finding a quarter heads up on the ground. I can still see the beauty in life and even though I can’t always enjoy it, the times that I can are worthwhile.

So what helps you get through a hard time when you’re feeling down?

Unknown said 10 years, 8 months ago:

It’s difficult to actually make an conclusion on how to help others in coping with a certain amount of loss or pain because to be honest, everyone copes in their own way as much as different people treat things differently. In my own personal experience, I just try to give those people a push in the right direction. A little grain of motivation to not always keep their head downwards but instead see that the birds still go on chirping, the sun comes up and the newspaper boy drops the news right in front of your front door. In others words, the grieving and the pain won’t change much to the outside world. The only thing that changes is your perception and thought process as an reaction on ‘that’ what happened. But other people will most likely still see you as the person who goes to class/work, visits the grocery store, and is respected, admired and most importantely, loved by those who support you through thick and thin. That is something to look at for me because while everything may seem cloudly and rainy, there are still enough, who wouldn’t want to see more than you being happy.

It may sound easier said than done and I wouldn’t like to admit that I’m ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ because those two things don’t matter when it comes to coping methods because in the end, everyone has their own ways of coping and if they start feeling better because of that? I’ll leave them be. I throw my arm over their shoulders but it’s not me who needs to ‘recover’, it’s them. They can only make the decision to do so or not.

Julia said 10 years, 7 months ago:

You make an excellent point Dexter, everyone does cope with things differently, but the real world around us stays the same even if we’re having a bad day. Hopefully more people think like you and are able to get past things and let others cope in their own way. Some people would prefer to be left alone to deal and others would interact with people so that you would not know something is wrong, so it is often hard to even tell if someone isn’t feeling well! So we have to go with what people will do and see how we fit into the world.