daddysgirl said 11 years ago:

I figured why not start off by sharing what our hobbies are. Feel free to start a forum about your hobby to get inputs from others on it.
I enjoy chess and other strategy games. It is hard to find people who enjoy playing chess. I like the skill involved in the game. There is not luck, except maybe beginners luck, involved in chess. I also play and board game and know tons of card games.
I also enjoy scrapbooking. Looking back at picture is so much fun.
Then of course there is sports which are always fun!

I have never tried yoga, I have thought about doing it because I’ve heard many people say that it is relaxing. Hopefully you can find time for it again. Chess is a game that you get better then more you play and you learn from those that are better than you. It helps to know different strategies. It is a game though you have to have people to play which is the tough thing.

Swifting said 11 years ago:

Hello;

I’m still looking for hobbies – possible hobbies that my family is encouraging:

Yoga – (I’m terrible at it but getting better)
Equestrian – (not as terrible at it but difficult with my work schedule)
Personal Education – (working on my GED and AA or AS degree.

@swifting I have never heard of Equestrian. What is it? Education sure can occupy your time, personally wasn’t on my hobby time. I was never a fan of studying but I got my degree anyways. If you are artistic you could try doing art projects. I don’t have the most talent, but I do enjoy my paint-by-numbers. And I’m not too bad at those.

Swifting said 11 years ago:

Equestrian relates to riding horses. It encompasses all disciplines.

Paint by numbers! That could be fun! Craft store here I come!

I love riding horses.
Yes! A craft store is the best place to look for hobbies if you like artsy stuff!

Jesse said 11 years ago:

I’m a very creative person so my hobbies include a lot of drawing, writing, painting, photography, scrap booking, and making crafts out of duct tape (such as men’s/women’s wallets, some jewelry, bookmarks, etc) Aside from the artsy stuff I love to play video games, play on the computer, watch tv/movies and some light reading. There may be more that I am forgetting at the moment but that’s a good stopping point. I try to keep myself busy, LOL, can you tell?!

@jesse keeping busy is not a bad thing. I try to keep busy, but it is hard sometimes. I was curious what kind of jewelry do you make out of duct tape? My sister makes wallets out of duct tape, but I haven’t heard of duct tape jewelry.

zelphia said 11 years ago:

Hi, My name is zelphia. I’m not sure if it counts as a hobby at this point since its so much of my identity and who I am but I sing professionally. I have a day job, but then my husband and I sing in a band on the weekends and that takes up a lot of my energy. I also write, I’m working on a fiction (Urban Fantasy) and I run a blog with my friend where we review books. Its a lot of fun, we get to interview our favorite authors, and we get books for free from the publishers. But it a LOT of work. I garden, i’ve turned my front yard from lots of not great grass, into 5 4 foot by 10 foot garden boxes and I’m growing stringbeans, corn, radishes, zucchini, squash, herbs, you name it. The neighbors watch the whole thing each year excitedly because I end up giving away tons of veggies but it beats growing crab grass and saves us money.

@zelphia200 I think singing is a hobby. I love singing. I write lyrics for songs, but I can’t write music to go with them. Writing is also a hobby. Sounds like you have a lot of fun! Gardening can be very therapeutic too. My favorite is home grown potatoes!

Jesse said 11 years ago:

@daddysgirl well I personally have made cuff bracelets out of duct tape. However I have seen other duct tape craft people make earrings and necklaces as well. :D

@jesse I could see a necklace, but I’m having trouble picturing duct tape earrings. I know making things out of duct tape is a big thing right now!

Mars said 11 years ago:

My father was obsessed super heros. He had thousands upon thousands of action figures, so many that you could barely move around his apartment. Even though he was blind, you could give him any one of his action figures (that wasn’t in a display case; god forbid you even breathe on his display cases!), and he would immediately be able to tell you who it was, the character’s entire backstory, fun facts, alternate canons; anything. He would be furious if you so much as moved one of them even an centimeter from its original position, and he would definitely find out if you did. He spent most of his time polishing them to perfection and the only stories he ever told me as a kid were super hero stories. I only learned how to read because he would buy me super hero comics and have me read them to him–he knew the stories so well that he would be able to point out plausible reading errors on my part.

Since that was my entire childhood, I took after him big time. My place is filled to the brim with all of his figures plus more, on top of me obsessively collecting comic books. (I’m pretty sure I could be on Hoarders with all of this stuff, ha!) I know it’s a weird hobby that is perceived as pointless and childish, but I’m too ridiculously in love with it to care.

@mars Hey it is okay to be a kid at heart! I know I am. I love disney! I own a lot of disney movies, I want them all. I collect disney stuff like crazy. Right now I collect disney pez dispensers. I just reminds me of my childhood and makes me happy.

Mars said 11 years ago:

@daddysgirl Without people like us, Disney stuff and super heros probably wouldn’t exist! That’s really cool! I know I have some old Disney VHS tapes laying around somewhere, but that’s about it. Nothing reminds you of childhood better than Disney!