FrenchFry said 10 years, 3 months ago:

So, my mom is great and we’ve been really close pretty much my entire life. She’s the best mom I could ever ask for, but lately I feel like she hasn’t really been there for me like she used to. She seems distant and not as happy with me as she did before. She also kind of hurts my self esteem sometimes by what she says to me. She laughs at me a lot if I come to her with a problem, and that drives me crazy. If I cry in front of her or tell her what she says or does kind of hurts me, then she just tells me that I “over-catastrophes everything” and I’m not seeing the situation as what it “actually” is..and that may be, but mom, I’m hurting and you’re brushing me off! I’ve tried to talk to her about it but she just groans and won’t talk about it. I don’t know what to do. Any suggestions?

Jess said 10 years, 3 months ago:

Do you have any idea what caused her sudden change? It may be something in her life that is making her upset that is not you. It may not be personal in the sense that you’re not the problem, she’s just unloading on you. If you have family who are close/talk to your mother, you could have a conversation with them about what’s going on. This kind of sudden change of character is very weird. Don’t let it get you down. In my opinion, something else is upsetting her.

Nugget said 10 years, 3 months ago:

Give her some time. Like Jess said there could be something thats upsetting her at the moment or stressing her out which is preventing her from realising that you need her at this time.
If it stays like this for a while, maybe keep trying to talk to her or try and use a different way to talk. Like would she read a letter, or an email or something if you tried to talk to her in that way? We live in such a technological age some people find it easier to talk in written words rather than verbally.

Deleted User said 10 years, 3 months ago:

This just got me to think, since you are not used to getting this from her, then it is bigger. So your mom may not see it as a big deal.
I do think she respect you, so yes try and make it you feelings clear and try follow those 2 advises ^

FrenchFry said 10 years, 3 months ago:

It all makes sense now! She’s really been stressing about work because she hates her job and her boss completely neglected to give her her paycheck on time this month. She also stresses about her weight and a good friend of hers just got breast cancer and a couple of her clients that she was friends with died in the past few months. Wow, I was totally being selfish about all of this. Maybe I need to reach out to her instead of wanting her to reach out to me. Thanks you guys, this really made me open my eyes.

Jess said 10 years, 3 months ago:

@FrenchFry

I think I speak for @23nix23 (Nugget) and @theclearmind when I say we were glad to help.

Hope everything goes well! Keep us updated.

Deleted User said 10 years, 3 months ago:

Yes!