Isabel said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Recently at my cousin’s wedding, I ended up getting anxious to a point where I had a panic attack. I ended up leaving a lot quicker than I wanted, and didn’t get to say goodbye to anyone before I left.
I also end up getting panic attacks somewhat irregularly in public– mostly in shopping malls, crowded stores, etc.

Usually when this happens, I’m alone.
I’m curious, how how do you guys try to cope with this when you’re alone?
I find it really hard to try and deal with it without others I know near me, and am looking for any advice or tips people have to offer.

TunaFish01 said 9 years, 11 months ago:

I’ve found this 5 step program to be very helpful.

http://www.anxietycoach.com/overcoming-panic-attacks.html

Another thing I try to do is make sure I’m taking care of myself physically such as if I’ve eaten or drank enough water that day.

Kaylene said 9 years, 6 months ago:

I’ve been suffering a G.A.D for quite a long time, and lately social anxiety has been a really big problem for me.

I mostly get it when I am alone in a shopping situation, like at the mall or in the grocery store, and though I don’t know how to beat it I know how I can stave it off for myself:

1) Relaxation music.
I have a youtube playlist that I listen to with calming music that has different sounds, sometimes thunder sometimes rain sometimes piano’s sometimes rainforest, whatever I feel like I need at the time I just listen to while I’m in that place. I just put it on my phone, slip in one earbud and get on with what I have to do. The music really helps.

2) ASMR video’s.
I don’t know if you’re familiar with ASMR but it’s a really interesting idea that sort of promotes “tingles”. It’s usually soft spoken, and really calming noises like crinkling or hair play or tapping depending on the ASMR artists preferences. There’s a few that I like on youtube, you could try GentleWhispers or Heatherfeather. Same as the youtube relax video’s, just pop one earbud in and listen to the sounds, it’s a good distraction.

3) Change your environment to change your thoughts.
Something as simple as taking off a shoe, sitting in a different chair in a different position, wrapping a hair tie around your wrist, put on a pair of sunglasses – just something in your senses that will shock your brain into being distracted with a new sensation. That helps.

4) Tactile toys.
I have a small collection of things that provide different feelings; a smooth rock, a comb that I like to drag my thumb along and try to make a noise with, a stress ball, soft squares of fabric. When I’m feeling stressed I just play with them, the different sensations can be fun and distracting. You can have things not just for your hands, like chewing gum for example can help.

5) Guided 5 minute meditation.
There’s lots of apps out there for short stay meditation, you can also find them on youtube. Just slip away to the bathroom and put both earbuds in and listen. Sometimes the act of just deep calm breathing can be enough. Also when your heart is racing do the same thing you do to unblock your ears on a plane, pinch your nose and try to breathe out of it for 3-5 seconds – the back pressure instantly decreases the heart rate. It’s a life saver.

Deleted User said 9 years, 6 months ago:

The simplest technique is to stabilize your breathing. Many panic attacks are stimulated by hyperventilation (you’re breathing too fast, your heartbeat rises). Force yourself to breathe deeply and slowly. In and out. Your heart will slow down and you will somewhat relax. Also, try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEzmdIytseQ