Autumn said 9 years, 4 months ago:

I’m desperate to be able to play the games that I want to, but this laptop just won’t cut it. Does anyone have advice on a cpu that won’t cost thousands of dollars but will still run steam and most games efficiently? Thanks!

The Giggle Blizzard said 9 years, 4 months ago:

By CPU do yo mean you already have a stationary pc and you wanna upgrade the CPU?

I have a basic HP Laptop and I need to upgrade to a desktop

Alright, you could get a prebuilt computer and there are good places for that but ultimately it’s cheaper and better to build your own and it’s not super hard. Go on some forums dedicated specifically to PC gaming/hardware stuff and there are usually sections where you can post a thread with a budget and ask them to help you make a list of the components you should buy. If you know anyone irl who can help you put it together once you’ve ordered and got all the parts that’d be great but even if not it’s honestly not that hard if you follow the given instructions, have some people maybe guide you online and just use common sense.

Essentially you’re gonna need;

Tower
Graphics Card (GPU)
Processor (CPU)
Harddrive
Memory (RAM)
Power Supply (PSU)
OS (I suggest you go with one of the Windows 7 ones, you’ll be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free when it comes out cause microsoft are cool)

And if you don’t have it already;

Monitor
Mouse+Keyboard
Headset/speakers

Do you have a budget in mind? Also where do you live cause that is important when considering prices and where to buy.

My brother is a huge techie. I tried asking him for help but he’s also a perfectionist. His is custom built and about $3k. He isn’t much help because he suggests the most expensive things, but as far as building it goes he can definitely help me out. I live in the south, very rural at that, so everything is going to have to be purchased online. Thank you for helping me out so much by the way!
Preferably I would want to keep it under a grand, but if it came out a little higher I might budge

Excellent Listener said 9 years, 4 months ago:

What model is your laptop? I can search to see if your machine is worth upgrading, can be upgraded, and what CPU is the max that will fit inside. I do this type of stuff all the time.

Thanks so much! It’s an Envy 15 Touchsmart

You can easily build a good computer for under a grand that’ll be able to play most games on the highest settings for a few years from now on. I really do recommend you build a dedicated gaming PC instead of trying to upgrade your laptop, but the beauty of PC gaming is there are so many options so really whatever suits you! Good luck! If you need more help feel free to ask, but I’m not an expert on hardware or PC building which is why I suggest you go to a dedicated forum because there will be tons of people there that know better and that would be happy to help you out.

Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback(: I didn’t expect to get this much, you guys have been really helpful

Deleted User said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Just go to pcpartpicker .com best place to build you’re computer