Evergreen said 9 years, 12 months ago:

I’m sure many of you know who the Pope is but what is his role in Catholicism? Now, I’m not catholic but I’m going to use my knowledge to help give a better basic understanding. =)

Basically, the Pope is the leader of the catholic church and ruler of Vatican City, he resides in the Sistine Chapel. He is considered the successor of Saint Peter who was an apostle of Christ and the first Pope of the Catholic church. A visible representative of god on earth, though he does not replace or stand for god. His words are regarded as the final say on various social, ethical and legal issues surrounding the catholic church (gay marriage for example). Most importantly to many, he is a sign of unity by being the true word of all Catholics around the world. The Pope wears a special ring called the Ring of the Fishermen, it bears the official papal seal. followers kneel and kiss during a papal audience. Saint Peter was a fisherman by trade. Importantly, the Pope does not have to wear the ring and he can also give it to anyone he wishes.

Now in case you’re wondering how a new Pope is elected, I’ll explain it.

Immediately following the Pope’s death, the Ring of the Fisherman must be destroyed and a period of mourning begins known as Sede Vacante from Latin meaning the Empty Seat. During this time the Camerlengo (Chamberlain of the Pope) fulfils being the head of Vatican city. Cardinals (Individuals selected by the Pope to help govern the catholic church) from around the world will head to Vatican City to elect a new pope, this procedure is known as a papal conclave which is a highly political process. Note a papal conclave cannot begin until 15 days have passed since the Pope’s death. The papal conclave then proceeds in isolation in the Sistine Chapel where the cardinals will vote for a new Pope. Many cardinals are said to be guided by the holy ghost during papal conclave. Thousands of people flock outside the Sistine Chapel to wait for news of a new Pope. Each ballot is burned and black smoke can be seen coming from the Sistine chapel chimney. When the smoke turns white, a new pope has been chosen and this is the first formal announcement.