Auspexel said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Sure, I write a bit everyday in hopes of getting a cool rap lyric or venting out my opinions on concerning topics. Yet what drives you to keep writing when it feels like an unpaid exercise? When it is a whole self investment which has no apparent purpose? When we write for a cause and it isn’t coming fast?

How does a writer survive? How does a writer succeed? How does he LIVE?

Red Sheep said 9 years, 4 months ago:

I write because it became something that I need for myself. When I feel frustrated, and I have the urge to vent, I just pick up my pen, or my laptop, and I begin to write what’s in my mind. Also, thanks to this, I can create my own little worlds full of different people and stories. Sometimes I read them after a while, just to remind me that time and the feeling I had.

It is more than just writing as a self investment of energy and such, what we create is a world, our world.

_justanotherweirdo_ said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Writing, for me would be a type of escape. I write my own stories and sometimes poetry. It’s different when it comes to people. Once again, for me it helps me vent when I have no one to go to, it relaxes me and let’s me forget everything that is currently going on. It gives me a chance to release everything that is on my mind…

Nick said 9 years, 4 months ago:

I write about experiences I have had in the last 6 years and string words together so that it flows like a movie. I also add fictional elements that keep the story interesting, while still serving its thematic purpose. By doing this, I feel like I am releasing negative emotions and allowing myself to take control of what happens. It may sound a little silly to some people, but studies have indicated that happiness can be in the form of an illusion at times (which is healthy). You can’t always be naturally happy. Hence, sometimes it takes an effort to get yourself to that happy place. My happy place is in my writing. Conveying good and bad experiences to essentially “let it out”, and sharing those experiences with others every so often.

dropsofjupiter said 9 years, 4 months ago:

I second what everyone’s pretty much already said: it’s kind of like a therapeutic exercise. There are times when I don’t trust myself when I speak, like I’m going to say something I really regret. So it goes on the paper and it doesn’t hurt anyone.
Because there are times when no one will listen or they’ve got their own problems and I don’t feel like it would be far to vent to them so I vent to my notebook.
I would absolutely love to make writing part a career but even if I don’t, I would still write. It keeps me sane, helps me to calm down, helps me to sort out my thoughts and feelings.

insertNameandNumberhere said 9 years, 2 months ago:

I write for mostly the same reasons that other people have mentioned. I write because writing’s an escape, a way to take yourself out of whatever world your living in and build yourself a world where you can be the one controlling it, but it also runs away from you, and drags you with it, and you get lost. Sometimes that’s just it. sometimes that feeling of being so totally, overwhelmingly, lost in something is exactly what I need in order to get over what’s going on in my mind, and I love that about writing.

I also write because I love words. I love the way they sound, i love the way they look in print, and I love the way they fit in your mouth and roll around your tongue. I love how basic they are, and how something as simple as a collection of words can take you away. I love how you can mush them around and play with them, until the order and exact wording can tell a story as much as the meanings of the words do.

If I need inspiration, I just think of what happened that day, or something that’s been bothering me for a while, and I ask myself what if…?

I guess the way I survive as a writer is just by writing.