The Curious One said 10 years, 5 months ago:

I was telling one of my friend’s about a writers group and they suddenly busted out laughing and called it a bunch of names when the truth was i had signed up to join that group. i didn’t tell my friend this i just stayed neutral, has anyone else ever had this problem? It makes me afraid to tell people about my writing which i am already super self conscious of.

SilentRain said 10 years, 5 months ago:

They aren’t your friends if they don’t support, encourage, and kindly critique your endeavors. Laughing and making fun of it is uncalled for!
You didn’t deserve that reaction.

Mauvekat said 10 years, 5 months ago:

I wish it wasn’t something that happens, but there are people out there that just don’t seem to understand the importance of being a writer. Especially given writing to be a solitary endeavour in process but in editing, workshopping and expanding our social base for our writing is a social matter. Joining group with other writers is something I feel important because we all want to write, have the drive to write and that odd fear of showing it to other people, sharing with the world. I am sorry your friend laughed, but they probably truly don’t understand what it is like being a writer. Just because one friend was insensitive doesn’t mean they all are. I have had those that laughed, those who understood and some that just shrugged. But don’t let one person make it o you stop writing or trying to share what you do. It isn’t fair to you and the world of your writing. Good luck.

The Curious One said 10 years, 5 months ago:

@Mauvekat

Thanks, your right i will not stop writing but maybe keep it a bit on the down side, I’m a fourteen year old girl at my age writing is looked down upon, sadly

Mauvekat said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Sometimes these challenges will help spur on your writing. Use all the experiences, good and bad to help fuel your writing. Writing at any age is often looked down upon, mocked or even that is so easy, anyone can do it. That isn’t true. It is hard and a lot of work so congratulations on keeping writing even with those opposed to you.

Just Keep Going said 10 years, 5 months ago:

I agree completely with SilentRain. There’s nothing wrong with writing. It’s actually a gift and a blessing to be able to write with passion and emotion. Don’t listen to what they say. You don’t need to tell them if you don’t think it’s important to, but otherwise, just tell them and ignore whatever they think about writing.

I had the same problem with my art, and once I learned to ignore what people said, I was able to fully enjoy my talent. You don’t need to hide, writing is a pure and amazing for of expressing yourself, and if your friends cannot understand or at least respect that, then you’re better off.

Don’t stop doing something you love because you’re afraid of what people will say.

Good luck =)

Deleted User said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Writing is creatively having fun (:

Unknown said 10 years, 5 months ago:

People have a tendency to think ridiculously about everything that’s unique.

Maria95 said 10 years, 5 months ago:

In my opinion when people mock your hobbies they’re envious that you may be talented. Secondly they’re not your friends. Being able to write well is a beautiful gift. Most film ideas come fron the book of a creative writing genius. Embrace your talents/hobbies and don’t let anybody tell you any different. Keep writing and one day you may eve become a bestselling author. Let’s see if theyl laugh then ;)

Sarah said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Does anyone else have a fictionpress or wattpad account??

Deleted User said 10 years, 4 months ago:

Hope your doing better