Deleted User said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I am 17. I live with my mom, my 19 yr old sister, my 24 yr old sister, and their boyfriends.
Every week my mom either leaves to stay the weekend at her boyfriend’s house, or he comes down to stay at ours.
The walls in my house are paper-thin.
Constantly, I leave my room to see someone hugging, kissing, whispering “sweet nothings”.

Every day of my life, I am reminded that I am alone. Every day. I don’t have a self-esteem problem, not anymore, but I do have a bit of social anxiety, and that makes me utterly despise public places. I had to quit school and get my GED (albeit a year early) mainly because I hated school so much, I skipped nearly enough to be fined.
In the back of my head, I can feel my depression gnawing, like a headache that just wont go. I haven’t been depressed for almost two years now, but I know it’s still there, and this loneliness is acting like a perfect catalyst for it.
I hate it, depression. It feels terrible, and it never truly leaves. I just need to leave this house, but I can’t. I don’t have a job yet, and I don’t know if there even are any apartments around here.
To make matters worse, this house reeks of sex. Everytime my eldest sister opens her mouth, she has to mention sex. I’ve even been woken up to my 19 yr old sister because her bed hits my wall. I am a virgin, and although I’m in no hurry to lose my v-card (I aint going to go rent a Taiwanese hooker or some shit, I’m classy and would rather do it with someone I truly love) I still don’t like being reminded of it. I haven’t dated since 8th grade, and even that barely lasted five months.

This house is a constant reminder of why I was originally depressed, and I feel ill just sitting here.

bellaunicorno said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I can relate in a way that the things around you are catalysts for those feelings of depression and loneliness. It is often extremely difficult to escape those feelings when even if you leave the things around you, they follow you in your own head.

What I found helped a bit was having a hobby. Even if it was watching a film, during that moment when my mind was elsewhere, it was absolute bliss. And sometimes, even an hour of escaping those feelings are a life saver.

scotlandbuddy said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Hey Shaddy,

first of you have something to feel good about, you are a funny guy! That line about Taiwanese hookers was great.

Anyway, have you every spoken to your doctor about the way you are feeling? if this feeling wont go away then you need to start doing something proactive about it. bellaunicorno’s idea of getting a hobby is a great start. finding something you enjoy doing on a regular basis can do a lot for relieving the symptoms of depression. Exercise too is also a great way of relieving anxiety, stress and depression & it makes a great hobby!

If there are underlying issues as to why you are depression such as family problems then you should really consider some form of counselling whether that be with your local area health professionals or through an online service. Even just a few weeks of speaking to someone can help you a lot with the problems you are having at home and how you can deal with them in a better way.

if you really want to leave the household and live by yourself then you should look into that by speaking to your local government to see what services and help are available to you. Ideally getting a job should be your main priority before considering housing.

I hope you can sort your situation out and get the help that you need to feel better than you do now. I’d like to know how you get on so let me know if you can.

MonyV said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Hi Shaddy,

I can totally understand your situation. I’ve been through something similar, at your age. My mom and me had always had a tight relationship, and our holy routines together. We had a lot of fights, and she’s quite crazy, but she was the only one I had at that time. And she never could give me any affection. She always walked a meter around me, never kissed me goodnight, never even patted my head. That was very hard on itself. I grew up, became a teenager, and the nagging need for affection screamed inside of me. I had quite some self-confidence at the time (lost in the years in between, I’m afraid) so I went to parties and hit on guys, but it never seemed to work out. At some point, my mom met a guy. I liked him a lot, so I was glad for her. But when I was on vacation, I was told he had moved in with us, not even after three months of their dating. I thought that was a stupid move (because back then I was more rational than my mother). But the biggest problem was, there was this strange guy in the house. Our routines didn’t exist anymore, we always watched what he wanted to watch on TV. I felt rejected and unimportant. This was blown up by the fact that my mon and her boyfriend were constantly kissing, hugging, and sweetmouthing each other in front of my face. And I had nothing. No one. No affection, no kisses, no belonging, no friends even… (yeah, that one was pretty bad too). My mom became more and more hostile towards me because she felt I was jealous of her having a man and me not (did I mention she was a bit crazy?) . Anyway, after a few months of struggling with growing sadness, tremendous pain inside and torture watching the turtledoves on the outside, I got my first depression (this sounds like it’s a diploma or something *sigh*). Thank you, mom.

Now, I suppose your family is still pretty nice to you, or at least I hope so. But I just wanted to tell you I can relate. All I wanted to do back then was also just get the hell out of there. And I really couldn’t.

Now, the people who answered before me already gave great advice. Find a hobby, see what the posibilities are for living alone, looking for a job…
I can only add to that some things that I may have found useful at your age. I know what social anxiety is, because I had it a few years later. It’s the hardest thing to meet new people. But it’s the most important, too. You can overcome your fears, and step out into the world, and meet people who care about you. Maybe it won’t be love at first sight or something like that, but you need support right now. You need to feel loved and appreciated. You need people right now who can make you feel worthwhile. Then maybe, if you don’t feel so horribly lonely anymore, you’ll be more at ease and more able to find potential dates.
Look, I’ve read some of your replies to questions on this site, and you seem like a very, very decent guy. It’s really important to realize that too: you’re worthy of love and happiness. If you believe that, truly believe it, then I am convinced you’ll find a way out of your loneliness and depression.
Be sure to see a doctor though, for a prescription, it’s better to prevent than to cure!
Good luck to you,

Mony