sharkvee said 5 years, 6 months ago:

I have been going to the eye doctor a lot more frequently than normal (to get glasses adjustment/fix sunglasses/actually go to an exam etc) and my family has always seen the same doctor for like, 10 years. but now that I’m 18, he’s changed. he comments on my hair and how pretty my glasses are and when he’s shining light at my eyes or using a device or something he’ll do various really creepy things. like put his hand on my knee or brush his leg up to mine or (most recently and most bothersome) push hair out of my eyes. this guy is like 50 years old and married and I don’t know what to do because I can’t really prove anything and he’s never made any completely sexually explicit movements but it just scares me because I never know what’s stopping him from locking the door and raping me. I’m too scared to ask him to stop. I don’t know what to do.

restrictions-apply said 5 years, 6 months ago:

You could probably ask to switch doctors without giving them too many details, or just say “I’m not comfortable with him” or “I don’t really like him”.
That behavior is ridiculous, it would probably be considered sexual harassment…

you’re probably right; I’m just so weird about… like… telling people things. which I know doesn’t make it easy. but like, if I ended up telling my parents or he ended up telling my parents I switched then they would ask me why and then they’d make a huge deal out of it and it would be awful

rinseandrep said 5 years, 6 months ago:

It’s ok if they make a big deal out of it. Why would it be awful?

He creeps you out, and you don’t want to handle setting him straight and then awkwardly keep seeing him after.

Just in case you end up there again, though, you can ask him to keep the door open, because “it makes me feel more comfortable if it’s open”, and leave if he doesn’t. Or have someone come with you. It might be easier for you than directly telling him to not touch you, or not comment on your features. Even a visible flinch could probably make him realize he has to back off, and you wouldn’t need words. All these indirect ways are just a suggestion because you don’t think you can approach this directly, I’m not saying it’s the best way to deal with it.

Thank you. I’m really bad at thinking of subtle ways to say something and that will help a lot.

rinseandrep said 5 years, 6 months ago:

If you have a friend available, practicing saying things out through roleplaying can help, just in case, some people don’t get subtlety, or choose to ignore it.

sohailkhatri said 1 week ago:

Regardless of style, half frame glasses should protect your vision. Recent scientific advancements have greatly expanded understanding of the eye, creating materials to defend them.