JoeVI said 10 years, 11 months ago:

The second would be Asians (including myself) So same questions…Where in the world do you guys live and what is it like there? Do you think your environment has influenced your ways of thinking about your self? other people? What sort of stereotypes do you have about people of other places? other cultures? other religions?

I live on the beautiful island of Guam, which a territory of the U.S. of A., somewhere in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Guam, being initially colonized by the Spanish became a very Catholic place and being such close proximity to the Philippines the Catholicity just grew. I do believe that this did indeed influence the way I think I mean I still have moral objections toward abortion and the such, but I also acknowledge I can’t force anyone to do or stop what they want to do or not do. In regards to myself I always try to keep myself to a high moral and ethical standard in order to influence the people around me to be good too, but I do have slip ups once and a while. In regards to other people I usually hold them to a set standard by trying to get to know them, but then again no excuses for doing bad…so yeah. Being in an island where a good amount of cultures have met there is always that stereotype that Asians always do good in school (which only applies to Asians that look Asian a.k.a Koreans, Japanese, Chinese etc.), then there are those white people stereotypes, black people stereotypes, Latino stereotypes…etc. A lot of these stereotypes are said by the most obnoxious people so yeah… I personally don’t believe them so yeah. I get along with a lot of people, but there are some people that I cannot stand to be around and I guess that was from my very reserved upbringing…or the fact that loud people annoy me…no yeah it was the upbringing. Although I live in a place where a good 95% are Christian perhaps not even half really practice their faith which just irks me because these people will still consider themselves 100% Christian, but will totally ignore something if they do not like it. That’s just my opinion though. In regards to other religions not many people have things to say, because they find the topic to sensitive.

Deleted User said 10 years, 11 months ago:

@joev0126 you’re Guamanian?! Awesome. I had a very close friend who was from Guam. Unfortunately she passed away, but damn, did she know how to throw a party! Take-home plates for DAYS.

Yups! That sounds like someone from Guam! We really know how to party hard, although I do tend to do more management of the party than actually participating in it, but yeah lots and lost of food.

And to clarify to those people who may not know, the natives of Guam are called Chamorro. They have their own language with a very big Spanish influence that is unfortunately dying, because of of the lack of speakers. But they are sturdy and I’m sure it will survive. The term Guamanian is used for the people who live in Guam like how people would define themselves as Virginian or as a New Yorker.

Deleted User said 10 years, 11 months ago:

No I don’t think my environment affect how I think of myself or those around me. My dad was quite prejudice (polish). I’m totally open to getting to know anyone. To me race doesn’t really mean anything. There are stereotypes that do have truths but can easily not apply to that person. In general Other ethnicities are more prejudice toward each other and european than we are towards them. They may stereotype me more than I them. Many people stereotype Canadians and yet when I’m in the states people think I’m from California or Hawaii. Other religions.. well we all feel we have the right religion but we are all entitled to our own beliefs. It’s called free choice. The more relogions stray away from a God to either no God or multiple gods I have trouble understand or comprehending it. So generally don’t get into conversations with people of extremely diverse religious people unless they are truly open to learning more and not just putting down what I believe. It’s interesting you are from Guam. I could sense a real warmness from you. What interesting is I feel more comfortable working with men of other ethnicities as I’m in the computer field. So I fit right in.. in Hawaii.. with other races in general. Many white people I find can be very career oriented and not open to new friendships. More of a person to compete with than to learn about and get to know. Warmness generally comes from people of other ethnicities.

@Gail sorry for this being so late I didn’t see your post. Firstly, thank you, and secondly I think the warmness that you have attributed to me is a product of where I live. Guam is generally a very warm area (literally and figuratively).

Deleted User said 10 years, 10 months ago:

You seemed to have the warmness of the people in Hawaii. And I’m sure some of it is you too :-)