JoeVI said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Hello everyone! So the responses to my topic yesterday…well yesterday for me anyway…were great. So just by glancing I see that there are a lot of people that identify themselves as Caucasian/White and acknowledge their European descent. So I’ll ask to start off with you. Where in the world do you guys live and what is it like there? Do you think your environment has influenced your ways of thinking about your self? other people? What sort of stereotypes do you have about people of other places? other cultures? other religions?

Deleted User said 6 years, 10 months ago:

I live in Canada. Many different cultures and religions. In many cases I’m the minority. But I get along with everyone so I don’t have a problem with it. In some cases I truly have learned what it is like to be dismissed as unimportant by other ethnic groups.. It’s eye opening. Growing up I did well in school and my pareents had their issues but I always felt like I mattered and would make a difference some day.. I’ve had negative family members that were poor problem solvers and that made me more dedicated to understanding the world more so I could make good decisions. There are certain cultures that prefer to not interact with others. I’ll interact with anyone. But the longer these cultures are in Canada the more they bridge the gap and let others ideas in. I find religions very interesting and have researched key belief in many of them. One thing I know is that people are very passionate about what they believe especially about religions which makes for interesting conversations and debates.

Although you are 1/2 Polish you are also 1/2 French. I thought that there are a good number of French (not full blooded, but have a good number of habits and such) people in Canada. Is this a misconception? What other minorities do you see in Canada? What religion(s) would you say influence your way of thinking/acting the most despite not adhering to one specifically? Do you find that a lot of people share your attitude where you live?

Deleted User said 6 years, 10 months ago:

I’ve lived in the SF Bay Area my entire life. It’s extremely diverse and I think that’s definitely had an impact on my sense of community. For the most part, we’re very open-minded and tolerant. We are also pretty environmentally conscious as a state, I think. We have to get mandatory smog checks on our vehicles every 2 years or else we cannot renew our registration. We’ve also implemented a new measure where we no longer use plastic bags at grocery stores. And if you choose to get a paper bag, you have to pay ten cents per bag, so it encourages people to use re-useable bags. A negative of this community is that people can be very rude to each other. Don’t get me wrong, there are rude people everywhere. However, I’ve gone to other states across the country and I’ve been so surprised at how POLITE every one usually is. Everyone here always seems to be in such a hurry all the time and they seem to forget their manners.

Casm said 6 years, 10 months ago:

I live in Austria, and most of the time I really like living there. The education system is pretty good and nearly everyone has a health insurance. I think because most of the people are very educated, we are very openminded too, but still, there is a light aversion to foreigners and muslims. That’s the only thing I don’t really like about some of the people I’m friends with

@Gail, @goodnitegracie, @Casm Do you guys travel around internationally? Do you wish that your communities had things that you’ve seen in other cities? other countries?

Love-and-be-loved said 6 years, 10 months ago:

i live in seattle. and im a minority just becuase im such an odd mixture. Because each neighborhood is severely divided. i live in the more black/mexican part of seattle. and i guess its really influenced how i think because here to be popular it doesn’t matter how much money you have its more of how much you stand up too other people. and its crazy how much blacks and Mexicans will accept white people into the community if they act right but unless youve completely lived with white people all your life white people wot accept you. i think there are a lot of misconceptions about our part of the city. but the kids at my school have more street smarts than kids in other areas becuase we’ve seen so many things. the rich kids in other parts of my city do drugs and party all the time because they’ve never learned the hard way. but we know because we all have had somone in our lives affected by drugs/alcohol/violence. sorry if that afended some people but i was just pionting out what i saw here i dont know about anyother places

@Love-and-be-loved thank you for your input. You’ve obviously seen “that” part of the city from the side that is often criticized the most. Your words show that just because some people in a group may act a certain way that means that everyone must act that way. That is a misconception that ultimately causes tension, and one that must me amended.

Deleted User said 6 years, 9 months ago:

On the subject of French people in Canada there are two types. One that just have the genetics and don’t think too much about it. Then there are the ones in Quebec that fight to keep the French traditions and language alive. Quebec has alot of pro-french laws for everyone that lives there and visits there. Doesn’t affect me at all. I live on the coast in BC. Canada is similar to USA in that there is a wide range of nationalities. As you see a large population of people in the world so do those exist in Canada. There is a large group of American Indian populations that live on their own last as deemed by the government. My religion is Christian and I believe in 1 God that created all. You try to be a good person and have good moral and accept all other people as equals. We are all equal in God’s eyes no matter what our background is. Hmm do alot of people share my attitude. Well in BC there is a wide range of religions and races so I’d say different religions value different things due to their beliefs. Those that are Christian which are many have many beliefs that differ but here in Canada it is a very open environment and we all try to get along. Most people are quite polite and generally mind their own business. No I haven’t travelled much internationally. Mostly California and Hawaii. Hawaii is my favorite of all people. They are kind, warm, accepting, genuine, and without conceit. The place where I feel I fit in the best.

Casm said 6 years, 9 months ago:

I travel a lot, at the moment only to other european countries though… I wish people here were more patient,like in Italy or even France, and more willing to form a queue when it’s nessecary XD

JoeVI said 6 years, 9 months ago:

@swifting thank you for your input. So TV actually got something right? I personally don’t know how I feel about that. Regarding Christianity, there are indeed people that do not live in the loving manner that is taught to us, and that is a disappointment since it obviously gives a bad image on Christianity. I think it was Gandhi who said “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” And yes Muslims are very nice people. The Qu’ran dictates very strong words about helping one another and kindness. It is just a misconception that they are all religious extremists in the sense that they’ll bomb everything THAT IS COMPLETELY UNTRUE. In reality plenty of Muslims do not approve of the overly violent ways of their brethren and would rather talk out any differences.

Chwati:) said 6 years, 9 months ago:

I live in Bangalore, India. There are all kinds of people in my locality but it isn’t exactly what most of us would like. Most of them are narrow minded people, some are superstitious, some may be open minded, some are religious and some are sexists. There are a lot of differences and fights between various castes and inter castes here. At the same time I do wish they started opening up their minds to accept change. I wish people here were more helpful and caring. People couldn’t care less unless if was something about them. I don’t pay attention to a person’s religion or caste because that always leads to trouble, at least here. I love learning about different cultures in my own country. I have friends who speak at least 15 different languages and I keep trying to learn them. It’s a wonderful place to live in but you have to pay a heavy price for it.

Maryaha said 6 years, 9 months ago:

I am Portuguese, living in Portugal. In here we have some minorities like gypsy (should I call them that?). I don’t think we have much more. Of course we have foreign people living here, especially Chinese, African and Brazilian.
At school we learn English, Spanish, French, German and recently, Chinese.
A thing I hate about how other people see us is that they believe Brazilian are just like Portuguese or that Portugal is IN Brasil. Brazilian people are not portuguese. It’s like saying American and British are the same and talk the same language. Well, Portuguese and Brazilian have way more differences that that. It’s almost like saying German and Dutch people are the same. We’re not, okay?

We are mainly catholic but have protestant and other religions as well although they are frequently not accepted.

Portugal is a country that gives welcome to every race and country although I can still feel certain suspicion towards “gypsies”.

Deleted User said 6 years, 9 months ago:

I’m a little late to the party but here goes.

I’m in the UK, specifically Scotland in a small coastal town, and it’s a decent enough place to live. I’m not sure if the environment I grew up in influenced how I think about myself – that was more to do with the sort of people I ended up going to school with. Though because it was a small town, and a fairly small school, I didn’t really have any stereotypes about anybody. There was only one boy in my class (who was only there for a few years) that wasn’t Caucasian (if I remember rightly he was a Muslim) so that was about as much exposure as I got to mixing with people of a different ethnic background, so I guess you could say I grew up in an environment that wasn’t all that dynamic – other than the boy I mentioned there was only really one chinese family who ran a takeaway (the BEST) It has changed a lot more now in that we have a few Polish families here, a few from Pakistan, India, etc. I’m not quite sure, I just know they own a couple of the little shops here. I quite like that though, it’s nice to see people coming here and integrating into the community – there are the odd few people that have issues with them but for the most part we’re pretty welcoming.

I didn’t pay much attention to Christianity even though we had school services in the Church when holidays came around I was never really influenced by it, which is probably why I don’t have any problem with people from another culture, race, religion etc. I haven’t been brought up with negative connotations about any of it so it only interests me to learn and meet other people.

As for the UK in general, well, that’s another story! It all depends on where you live.

Robin said 6 years, 9 months ago:

I’m in southern California, USA. I fully acknowledge that I am a product of my enviroment. I’ve crisscrossed the states while serving in the Marine Corps, living in Mi. Nc and Ca.I have lived in big cities as well as out in the barron landscape.
Traveled Amsterdam, Holland,Geremany,Canada
and Mexico.I found that while we all may be in different places, most of us are really all the same.