Deleted User said 9 years, 2 months ago:

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about what a person can do to be in control of themselves, to be a master of self, etc. I haven’t come up with a lot of ideas so far – only simple things like meditation. Have any habits/practices that you do to stay in control, to keep emotions from getting the best of you? I’d like to hear what you do!

Deleted User said 9 years, 2 months ago:

I write in my private online journal @ gethermit.com and go for a bike ride to clear my head and calm down :)

Swifting said 9 years, 2 months ago:

I do some yoga (even though I’m terrible at it) and have a lot of sex. Now, I know that’s not always a great solution to problems but for me the physicality of sex helps me think through daily challenges.

I also read a lot and when I feel myself getting over emotional I attempt to calm down by counting and by stepping away when the problem is bigger than what I can handle.

Karacata Anam Cara said 9 years, 2 months ago:

When I feel like I need to calm myself and gain control of everything, I take time to myself. I write. I read. Watch a movie, listen to mind calming music. Find someone I can talk to, even if a complete stranger. Even if it’s just me listening. I craft, because it clears my mind and distracts me. There are a lot of different things. Anything that calms and distracts my mind.

Deanosauras said 9 years, 2 months ago:

For me Jazz and classical music helps me centre myself.

Reading always helps me as I am an introvert.

JustASpeck said 9 years ago:

Depends what my mood is, if that makes any sense. If I’m frustrated or angry, I either Run, do Judo or some other physical activity, (not walking though), as well as mentally giving them a piece of my mind or public speaking in my mind on the topic/issue. If I’m sad, I’ll listen to music. If I’m tired or bored, I read. All of these are in addition to keeping a cool exterior, yes even during the physical activities.

Deleted User said 9 years ago:

As a firefighter I had to learn to clamp down on my emotions in the (very literal) heat of the moment. My lieutenant calls it “shutting your heart in a box” so your brain can do its job. Otherwise people die.

Basically what I do is I tell myself “I’ll be afraid LATER.” That makes the “afterwards” the worst part of the emergency calls, but I have a safe place to deal with it and friends who know exactly what’s going on in my head to help me get past it.

Becky2015 said 8 years, 10 months ago:

Normally, I just listen to music and read. Keeps me calm

Deleted User said 8 years, 10 months ago:

I listen to music, play the keyboard, pray, and talk to people on here.

Lunna said 8 years, 10 months ago:

I normally write down what I feel a tear it after. Also, a good cup of tea and some nice music allways helps

Sparkles said 8 years, 9 months ago:

I enjoy collecting inspiring quotes, read memoirs, exercise once in a while and talk to people. That’s what I usually do