Brooke said 10 years ago:

i thought i’d give this a go …i have had trouble talking and socializing with other’s since i was 11 years old and an almost automatic fear that people hate me or dont like being around me when i was younger i would do anything to avoid talking to people ( even though i did want to have friends and was an incredibly lonely kid ) it just seemed like it was impossible for me to just “be normal” my anxiety got worse and worse as i got older so much that if i wanted to buy something i would give my money to the person i was with and ask them to pay for it because facing the cashier was just to much …it got to where doing normal things or walking out of the house was a BIG DEAL for me it felt like a wall was slowly pushing me towards the edge of a cliff and i didnt know why i was feeling this way.. soon i’d say around 14ish the depression started my family was poor and my parents had problems of their own so i didn’t really get any help with it…was truly the worst years of my life.. BUT =) at 17 i decided i had to try and make a change i started forcing myself to do things i didn’t think i could do and little by little opening up (also can now pay for my own things with no problem ) …i’m 22 now i’ve since moved to a new state i have a boyfriend and a job but my social anxiety is still a very big problem even though i have made so much progress i WANT to socialize i want to make friends and be the person i know i can be but it gets hard …i’d just like to be the closest to normal as i can be

[.jessica|acissej.] said 10 years ago:

I’ve been where you are, I was so bad where I couldn’t face cashiers, the pizza delivery person, bus drivers… anyone really. I had a spell of not going outside for months at a time because I felt like even the people driving their cars past me were somehow watching and judging me.

I’m able to face all things now, however I’m still atrocious with being thrown into an unfamiliar social group. I can offer you my best advice, it’s what I try to do. When you’re faced with a new group of people, interact on a minimal level. Speak when you are spoken to instead of trying to add input to everything. The more people address you, chances are you’ll become more comfortable talking to them over time and before you know it you’ll be able to hold a consistent conversation once you’re not so shy/nervous/scared. When you successfully interact with someone, chances are they can introduce you to people that are likely to get along with you as well – over time you’ll feel more confident in approaching people. Be patient!

Pipsy said 10 years ago:

Normal?…. Hate to break it to ya but there is no such thing as normal. There is normality but not one person is normal. We’re all individual people and though we may act, think, talk in a “normal’ same matter. we are not normal.