PenguinFairy said 7 years, 6 months ago:

I only have a small handful of friends (or had, I guess). But none of them seem to want to hang out anymore. Like, they’ll all hang out with each other, but never invite me anymore. It makes me feel like I’ve done something or that they’re all making fun of me behind my back or something. Does anyone have any advice or experiences to share?

beckylynn420 said 7 years, 6 months ago:

The only thing you can do is ask them. Or ask a couple of them. Simply ask did I do something to upset or offend someone because you guys do not seem to talk to me much anymore and if I did I want to make it right because I do not want to lose you as friends.

Weronika said 7 years, 6 months ago:

Well, I have or had a similar problem. But they didn’t invite me because they “forgot” about me. You have to talk more with them in every occasion and be more open,try to be funny. Maybe invite someone over and then that person will persuade others to invite you. Then they will remember how cool you are as a friend :)

We’ve been friends and haning out for 10 years. I think it would be hard for them to suddenly forget me.

beckylynn420 said 7 years, 6 months ago:

Then is sounds like something was done to upset them. I would inquire with one or two of them and see what it is they believe you did wrong to out you. That is the only way you can get this resolved especially with a friendship that long.

Yeah, I really don’t even know what I did. But I suppose asking couldn’t hurt. Though, I really wish they’d be adults about it and talk to me first instead of just ignoring me completely and leaving me to wonder. Talking to me would give me the chance to apologize/explain if I said or did something offensive.

sylph-dancer said 7 years, 5 months ago:

I’ve been going through this for a while. Since I’ve had social anxiety for the past 14 years, I’ve had the habit of pulling away from my friends out of the (imagined, at first) perception that they had stopped liking me or that I was annoying them. Now, I no longer have any friends. It feels as if they grew tired or stopped caring enough to try to talk to me and spend time with me.

I do not have someone to ‘tease me and laugh at me’, or whatever it is people say best friends do, as most people treat me politely and distantly. I can sit with a group of people and they will discuss ‘group’ plans but never include me on them, and can get up and leave without anyone noticing.

It isn’t that people dislike me–it feel more like, ‘people like me but not enough to ask me to spend time with them’. I can go up to many people and smile and say hello, hold as long a conversation as I can (about 10 seconds), but no one will say a word to me all day if I do not. It’s … lonely. But with my social anxiety, it becomes very frightening and stressful to make friends and commit to friendships. To me, it feels like an endless cycle.