z o e said 7 years, 6 months ago:

I hate ordering so bad. Especially at places like chipotle and subway shops. Anyone else have this issue? It makes me uncomfortable because they’re looking for a response and all I do is mumble. I always end up saying things as quickly as possible so that I can eat, but I end up ordering something I don’t want, and usually have to repeat myself a million times because I don’t say it loud enough D: what doesn’t help is that I’m so short that people always call me ‘sweetie’ and ‘honey’ and it makes me so uncomfortable because I really just want them to go away.

Anyone else especially awkward when eating out? Advice, maybe?

Y Z N said 7 years, 6 months ago:

I AM TOO! Like at Subway I am looking around and thinking “STOP LOOKING AT ME!” and its just so uncomfortable! And when I am eating I take the smallest bites and like make sure my face and around my mouth is clean of food bits! UGHHHH but when I am at home I eat normally!

enayķudisi said 7 years, 6 months ago:

I have literally stopped eating out because of this.

Deleted User said 7 years, 6 months ago:

When I try to order at places like that, I end up freezing for whatever reason. Then I have to try to force the words out and I end up stuttering and feeling worse. I think I overthink what I say and build anxiety by saying what I want to order over and over in my head before I go. It always helps to take a deep breath and go at your own speed.

Ethereal Being of Paleness said 7 years, 6 months ago:

I hate ordering at restaurants so bad oh gosh. Or buying anything tbh, it’s just really stressful and I feel so awkward! ;~;

Ashley said 7 years, 6 months ago:

I’m better at restaurants than with cashiers, but I still hate it. My sister’s probably even worse than me, so if we’re out together, whoever is more comfortable, either with that particular store/restaurant or in general is the one who ends up doing the ordering/general dealing with people.
Knowing exactly what I want helps some, but even still I end up reading off the menu what it is because my mind just draws a blank and a lot of the time I just avoid having to talk anymore than necessary. If they mess up, I usually need someone else to actually talk to waiters/cashiers/managers, because I just won’t. I’ll go hungry instead of talking to them, and I hate it, but I don’t really know of any way to fix it.

PenguinFairy said 7 years, 6 months ago:

It helps me if I point to what I’m ordering on the menu while I’m saying it.

beckylynn420 said 7 years, 6 months ago:

You could look over the menu before you go in that way you will know what you want when you are asked. Also, remember, people are just people, do not let them intimidate you or your size either. Just talk loud and proud, do not yell by all means but attempt to speak up clearly so they know what you want. Eye contact can be uncomfortable but make it anyways. It will only be for a few seconds. I think if you look over the menu beforehand you will feel more confident going inside to order. And with subway, think it over before you go in. I do that it way I can tell them exactly what I want and move it right along.

Marisa said 7 years, 6 months ago:

I HATE ordering at restaurants. Especially if I’m ordering something with a stupid “creative” name.
I’m worst at drive-throughs. For some reason I have an issue with talking to people if I can’t see their face. I refuse to talk on the phone. Probably has something to do with them not understanding me even more haha.If I’m by myself, I’ll just go inside. If I’m with someone and they really don’t want to do inside, I will actually make them switch seats with me just until we get our food and then switch back because I hate it so much.
I’m also really short. People piss me off when they think they’re being nice or funny while commenting on my height or talking to me like a child when I’m probably older than they are. Haha