AngelRebel said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Sometimes I’m scared to go to college because I’m afraid I won’t be to par with everyone else. Anyone else?

TheChosenOne said 9 years, 8 months ago:

You need to remember that everyone have different paths in life. We were all taught that if you don’t go to college, you will be a failure in life. This is not true. AT ALL. Even my uncle who graduated from college told me that when he got a job at the bank even his own BOSS didn’t go to college. The only reason you should go to college is because you are actually PASSIONATE about a subject and want to explore more within it and become a professional at it. Not because it’s the “right thing to do”. Not because your parents went. Not because everyone else is doing it. You should go because you WANT to. And if you don’t want to, then don’t. This is your life.

Riss said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Before I actually started college, I suffered from the same fear. In my head, I envisioned 20-30 page papers, piles of work, cliques, horror stories with my soon-to-be roommates, etc. In fact, I even cried the minute my family tried to say goodbye and leave – in front of EVERYONE.

That being said, let me tell you that within five minutes of my parents leaving, I was ready for them to never come back, ahahah. Classes are set in a way that gives professors a feel for which students will be taking them — whether that be freshmen, sophomores, juniors, or seniors. Because of that, the workload is appropriate and professors NEVER foster a sink-or-swim atmosphere. They’re around for help outside of class, and the institution itself has peer tutoring available that a lot of people utilize. So don’t worry about not being up to par with everyone else because I can almost guarantee you will be.

In terms of social interaction, the best piece of advice I could give you as a recent graduate would be to join clubs or to get involved on campus as soon as possible. I never felt connected to my campus or my peers until I started getting involved, and it could get lonely sometimes. But as soon as I started taking part in activities (work study jobs on campus even were great) I felt like there were a lot more opportunities for me. So make the most of it and put yourself out there. As scary as it can be, I found it worthwhile, and you will too!

Don’t let college scare you. Remember: it’s not like high school where people come in knowing people from middle school. Everyone is in the same predicament as you!

Sercelis said 9 years, 8 months ago:

I’m currently eighteen and I’ll be going off to my university in about a month or so.

I totally understand where you’re coming from, and why you’re afraid, however, I think the most important thing will be placing yourself in environments where you normally wouldn’t be able to function.

This way, you’ll be able to find more diverse students and potentially find out who or what you want to do with your life sooner. Just don’t be afraid! Be confident.

Good luck, :) .

Shivaganesh said 9 years, 8 months ago:

You shouldn’t judge yourself by comparing with others,this is often a mistake our parents do regards to our school/college life..Competition should exist but it should be with yourself to perform and get better than how you did last time..Most often that takes away all your pressure..

neccla said 9 years, 4 months ago:

You will find yourself unintentionally comparing yourself to others, that’s normal. What is not good is that you instantly get sad or unmotivated. (What is even worse would be you getting happy when others fail!) Comparison is only good if it’s making you motivated to achieve better. Even if you can’t completely stop comparing, you can change the way you think to something like “I’ll do better next time.” But you usually don’t need to think like this if you’re already a good student! Don’t be a perfectionist or think that everyone is better than you. In fact, a lot of people have a hard time, especially at freshmen year (There is tutoring and counseling). On average, %46 of Americans and %31 of students in OECD countries drop out (I’m not telling you to do that! Not everyone is as fortunate as Steve Jobs). Going on to college and getting a degree is a success of its own. Wish you best of luck.